'03 Windstar: Overspeed warning chime?

Page 1 of 2
I have an '03 Windstar that I bought as a dealer demo at the end of August. I've been hearing an occasional repeating chime when I'm driving on the highway,
but until today, I couldn't figure out what was causing it: it wasn't the door open or signal on chime, and the dealer couldn't find any malfunctions when I brought it in. Today, I determined that the chime appears to go on when I exceed 75 miles per hour (which, of course, I only did as an experiment!). It starts when the (analog) speedometer hits about 76, and cuts out as soon as I slow below that level. So here's the question: Does the Windstar have an overspeed warning the manual doesn't talk about? Or if it's not standard, is it possible the dealer installed one so the demo's employee drivers didn't overstress the thing before they could sell it? Thanks for any insight, as I'd like some info. before I call the dealer about it. {Windstar Driver}
http://www.roadsafety.com/faqs.php?view=2
after a quick googling.. yes there are such devices on the car... annoying i suppose, glad my truck doesnt have it. There should be a way to disable it. I also read that every time you go that fast it records it into EEROM in the Car's computer... only something i read.. you will have to do some research on your own to be sure.. i would ask the dealer... they dont care if you go mach 5. The law cares not the dealer.
Ken

August.
highway,
door
when I

It
as I

is it

as I'd

Wow. Thanks, Ken -- I'll be sure to ask the dealer.

If the car has overdrive how could it be turning so many RPM as to over-speed the engine at only 76 MPH? Why would Ford installa chime instead of simply implementing a rev limiter to _prevent_ engine damage instead of just a chime to let you know something *might* be about to let loose?

the
experiment!).
an
standard,
I think we have a bit of confusion regarding overspeed... One is talking about the actual speed of the vehicle, the other is thinking of over revving the engine...

the
when
soon
didn't
insight,
I see... Perhaps the tires are only speed rated toa bit above 76 MPH? If that is the case isn't a speed governer typically put in place a bit before the max rated speed of the factory equipped tires?

wasn't
malfunctions
have
Re: '03 Windstar: Overspeed warning chime? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2004, 3:52am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (CoryDunkle)
I see... Perhaps the tires are only speed rated toa bit above 76 MPH? If that is the case isn't a speed governer typically put in place a bit before the max rated speed of the factory equipped tires?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Don't think you'll find 76 mph rated tires for passenger vehicles. Most likely the factory tires are "S" rated for a max of about 109 mph.
Eric
"Save The Sync, Ban MOS"
It settable to alert the driver of the maximum speed the driver wants to go. It has nothing to do with anything else, it is a convince feature to let you know when you....lets say reach the posted speed limit.

it has to do with driving too fast not about possibly damagig the engine... if you read my last reply i think you will get a better understanding about the original question...
basically the original poster gets a chime everytime he goes over 75 MPH in the car. Most likely there is a speed limiter like on my 03 f250 at 100 mph.. I noticed that with mine theres a fuel reduction, until i get to 95 i beleive... I dont like driving that fast so i dont know the firmware specifics... however I do know that 75+ shouldnt hurt a transmission.. most roads in the usa are now limit to 75 (Major highways anyway)
I drive 75 to 80 on the highways by me.
The chime the poster was referring to has nothing to do with possible engine damage, only to inform the driver they are going too fast and that the speed is being possibly recorded into the automobiles "black box"
This is so if there is an accident the law knows the person driving was speeding.. i read about it a little bit but my interests do not go that deep so i stopped after reading a few places about it. However try google.. it can be seen that these speed chimes and EEROMS do exist on newer cars and are meant for data collection if something bad were to occur... nothing more (I beleive)
Thanks, Ken

the
when
soon
didn't
insight,
That happened to me once. I kicked my 99 windstar up to around 80, but the chime didn't sound until I stopped at a stop sign. I had to shot my engine off and restart to disable the chime. Never knew what it was till now.

wasn't
malfunctions
have
says...

<snip>
Well, the service bay at the dealership says they have no idea about this, but I have an appointment to check it out anyway next month. I'll try to post a follow up. {Windstar Driver}
It will be interesting to see what you find out. I just spent some time on Fords Technician web site, no mention of this device on Windstar.
Ken Gallo Jr

<snip>
Well, guess what I found in a search of old Usenet articles on groups.google.com? In an article from December of '01, David A. Riek wrote, "I have a 2001 Ford Windstar SE. I recently took a trip in this thing and discovered, much to my amazement, that when I reach 75MPH, a "chime" goes on, and stays on, until I get back under 75MPH." Someone suggested that there was a speed alarm as part of the electronic console, though neither Mr. Riek nor I could find any reference to it in the manual, and obviously, my dealer doesn't know of it. I'm going to run through the system in the van tomorrow and see if I can find it.
Ford did have a system on the T-Bird/Cougar in the 90's that worked as described. I was set by pushing a button at a particular speed. IF one exceed that speed by 5 MPH it would enunciate. His question was, how to disengage the setting. As I recall one simply pressed the button when the vehicle was not moving.
mike hunt
Thomas Moats wrote:

It's a speed alert device. Too alert you when you go over a certain road speed. It has nothing to do with engine RPM, even though the ECM does have a rev limiter for both a loaded and unloaded engine.

That has been around on cars from the early 80's ( mostly high end vehicles ). Do you have the owners manual it should tell you how to disable it.

highway,
it
I'd
I was told by a Ford dealership this morning that it was there to alert the driver that they were going faster then 75 MPH. and nothing more. I was told that there was no "Black Box" or other recording device on the vehicle unless a company specificly ask for one such as tractor trailers or buisnesses that want to track there employees driving habits. the reason it is installed on some vehicles is that when you drive them you may hit higher speeds and not even know it. such as a Crown Vic where 85 feels as smooth as 60 with out any noticible differance in the engine or stress sounds on the vehicle. if you hear your chime it should cause you to look at the speedometer and maybe reduce your speed.It was put on to help you avoid higher speeds,Possible Collisions, and tickets.
IceMan

Interesting. Did your dealer tell you how to shut it off? {Windstar Driver}

Don't worry Windstars stop on their own WAY to frequently.
Noob

August.
the
the
when I

when I

experiment!).
soon as I

an
standard, is

didn't
insight, as

I did not ask how to turn it off I was just curious about the noise I should have ask though
IceMan