1966 Ford LTD solenoid

I have a recently restored '66 LTD. I was attempting to rig a new switch for the A/C compressor and now the car will not start. It just clicks. I replaced the battery and it still will not start. I am thinking that I
might have fried the solenoid. Does that sound likely? Any answers will be greatly appreciated!
guitarprof wrote:

It's doubtful that you "fried" the starter solenoid. Make sure the battery is fully charged and that all of the cable connections are clean and tight. Your solenoid (actually starter relay) has 4 terminals. The large terminals are Battery+ and Starter. The small terminal closest to the Battery+ cable is the Start terminal. The small terminal closest to the starter cable is the Bypass terminal. (it supplies full battery voltage to the ignition while cranking). To test it: 1). Jumper the Battery+ terminal to the small Start terminal, the starter should engage. If so the solenoid is working properly add the problem is in the wiring from the ignition switch. If not: 2). Jump across the Battery + terminal and the Starter terminal (both big ones). If the starter engages the solenoid is likely bad. If it doesn't engage, the problem is in the starter itself.
Why are you trying to rig a switch for the AC compressor? There is only one switch in the original circuit, on the heater\AC control head. Power comes from the ignition switch, through the AC switch, to the compressor. It shouldn't be difficult to repair it. IIRC, the AC switch is available as a repro.If not, check E-bay. Your 66 is a nice car, I've had 3 of them. Galaxie fastback, Galaxie XL, and currently a 7 Litre. I'd like to see you do it right and am familiar with these cars, so If I can be of assistance let me know.