79 Ford LTD Advice

I was looking at a 1979 Ford LDT recently to be basically a pimpmobile. Black with a orange stripe down the side. Has 454 "overboared" engine, broken odometer, supposedly runs well and has been stored indoors for quite a while. Looks to be in pretty good shape from the outside. Are there any things in particular about this make/model that I should be concerned about? Any know issues or faulty designed parts/systems? I would be using it as a nonprimary car, and would like to be able to learn a few simple jobs on it. Any advice??

Reply to
Brice

Get a clue would be the best advice anyone can give you right now. Forget the "pimpmobile" and go back to school. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Bob opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

LOL!

Here's the FIRST learning on this ... design/engineering/mfg flaws or 'issues' no longer matter on that old a car.

Because ANY car that old is likely to have random failure on anything.

Just look for rust under car, floor and frame join areas... and gross fluid leakage. Flush brake system.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yup, if he had to repair any leaks in that "overboared" 454 it could run into some big money. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Over"board" or Over"bored"?

Reply to
<hoytd

Backyard Mechanic- appreciate the input. Just checking with you people more knowledgeable than I if this was a year to stay away from, or if it was just another year/make/model for Ford.

Bob- hate to tell you, but I have 20 years of education, plus 3 more, so back to school is NOT an option. Just trying to learn a few things from smart people on the net. I have little mechanical knowledge, and at this point, it is time to learn it. So this black 79 might be a good first step. Never quit learning, right? And they used to say in med school "there are no stupid questions." Right?!

Reply to
Bruce Simpson

Brice wrote:

Now I don't mind telling you that a 454 was never offered in a 79 LTD or an LDT for that matter. It was offered in some Chevys though.

Okay Doc, you've learned all there is to know.... hence the need for a pimpmobile. Now THAT is funny. Bob

Reply to
Bob

The 454 never offered? That is what I needed to know. Trust me here guys, I am not an idiot, but it seems like everyone else gets a vette, or some sort of pocket rocket, but 1) I have loans, and 2) I miss the days of a bigger car, something that doesn't weave in and out of traffic like a panicked squirrel, but goes with the flow. And then I saw the car I was talking about. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Brice

Brice opined in news:bkaruq$ek9$ snipped-for-privacy@msunews.cl.msu.edu:

EAch to their own!

:)

I LOVE a car that can weave in and out like a panicked squirrel.. if I wanted to.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic