1980 Ford hard start (255 cu in)

Cannot start unless I pour 1-2 oz of gas down the carb, then it idles and drives ok but will not restart after turning off. Choke fully opens from almost closed
as engine is warmed up. This problem just started with no prior symptoms. I've tried starting with pedal floored, part way and not depressed at all. Gas squirts out both jets in the carb when I depress the accelerator. This is not a VV carb. Motorcraft 2150 I think.

Since the onset was sudden, I suspect your coil ballast resistor bypass.
The wire from the 2nd small terminal on the solenoid (relay) to coil positive.
To test this theory, jumper Bat + to ign side of coil (as opposed to dist side) while cranking
If engine isnt in good tune, that will cause it.
- - - - -
Could still be carb problems, as well. And how many pedal pumps does it take to start it?

Engine in good tune, will NOT start at all unless I pour gas down the carb, then it starts right away and runs fine.

Whatever.. good luck!
So are you saying it only does this when it's completely cold but starts normally once it's warmed up? Does the choke ever close all the way? What if you closed it all the way manually?

Make sure the choke it closed when cold, look for leaks in the fuel lines, carb could be leaking also causing it to be dry after it sits. But you did say the accel pump is pumping gas....Could also be an ignition thing like backyard said. Weak spark will cause it not to start but actually run pretty good once it does. Look for nice thick blue spark while cranking. Orange looking spark is not good.

Here's my problem with this...
It starts pouring a capful of gas down the throat yet -apparently- no amount of pedal-pumping has any effect.
Yet the accel jets work!
Does not compute!
If it was a lawnmower, I would drain the water from the bowl.
Can rule out gross vac leak because it apparently runs fine when started.
I HAVE seen weak spark that would cause this but then I go back to the accel-pumping having no effect.
restriction in low speed idle slots or low bowl due to weak fuel pump cause that on the motorcraft 2150 series I had. once it started pump would develop enough pressure to run but after shutting down pump lost its "prime" so to speak. weak backflow preventer on the mechanical pump. I would check pump pressure on cranking. these also have a Holley style power valve but if it runs well that's not it.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply
"" wrote:
> [...]
I am thinking maybe the fuel pump or a vaccum leak. If the choke is stuck open when cold that may do it aswell, but with the pumping not working that is less likely unless there is alot of buildup or a cloged filter. a leaky fuel line may also cause an inital lack of pressure, but if it runs fine after its prob not that. good luck
check fuel pump pressure and float level.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply