1988 Ford 460, low oil presure

I have an 1988 460-Ford engine in my RV, with 49k miles, when the engine is just started or at highway speeds the oil pressure gauge reads about in the
middle of the normal operating range. However, when the engine is hot and at idle speed, the oil pressure gauge reads below the lowest operating range. Is there something I can do to bring the oil pressure back up into the normal operating range during all driving conditions?
Thanks, Dave

First check it with a mech. gauge to be sure you actually have low oil pressure. Not unusuall for the factory gauge to be goofy. Common for the oil pressure sender to fail and cause eratic readings. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.
datsruff wrote:

Maybe new main bearings, maybe oil pump, maybe cheap filter, or sump filter, maybe oil cooling problem. For starters, take readings at the oil pressure port with a mechanical gauge. If readings are OK with that gauge, replace the sending unit. If you're now running a straight weight oil, switch to a multi-viscosity oil, like a 10W30.
Change the oil and filter. Take a compresion test It might be that the oil has not been changed in so long that it is caked on to your heads and clog them to a point where the oil is not traveling freely thruout the system. Also could be that your oil pump is so worn that the gap between the gear and housing is so much that it cannot maintain the pressure. metal expands when hot and contracts when cool also oil is much thicker when cool and thinner when hot That is what is meant by 5w30 etc...