1988 Thunderbird ABS

Am working on 1988 Turbo Coupe with ABS.
The ABS Pump motor which pressurizes the accumulator runs long periods, with the ignition on or off. Will eventually run down the battery. The brakes
have normal power assist while driving. The ABS light stays illuminated, and has for many months, but only just started doing the pump motor running thing recently. Can live with the ABS system disabled, but not with the new problem. Ford dealer says no parts available for this ABS system. Any help or advice or parts out there? Thanks. Charlie

with
running
new
help
Cant you just unplug the ABS motor, or pull the correct fues? Check aftermarket parts stores for parts.

Cannot unplug the motor, it seems this also provides the normal power brake assist, as I see it. Am I right?

with
running
new
help
Almost every car uses vacuum for power assist. that big round thing behind the brake master cyclinder with a large vacuum hose comming off of it....its called the vacuum booster. nothing to do with ABS. There are very few cars without that setup. A turbo could be one of them, just look for the big round thing. GL

brakes
illuminated,
"Scott" wrote

Not Turbo Coupes. They have a pump and an "accumulator" that stores brake fluid at around 2000 PSI.

You are correct.

It should only run with the key at "run". After 20 minutes of constant running, it shuts itself off to cool down. How's the brake fluid level?

Did they scan the ABS computer for error codes, or tell you what the problem is?
Brake Fluid Level is good. Do not know what ABS codes were pulled, if any. I do not have scanner to do it. I do not have a record of what they said might be the problem, it was a long time ago when ABS light first illuminated for the previous owner

problem is?

You don't need power brakes, just unplug it and all should be well. You won't have to worry about your battery being dead or unplugging the negative terminal every time you get out of the car, plus you'll probably gain some road feel through the pedal as opposed to the typical mushy/numb power brake pedal.
Eitehr that or find out what the faulty component is (wiring, motor, etc.) and eitehr replace it with aftermarket parts or go to a junkyard to find replacement parts.

brakes
illuminated,
Cory Dunkle opined in

Cory, Cory!
Look for clues!
This is that stupid German ABS system... No motor, no brakes!
NOT one of Ford's Better ideas! Almost killed my boss and his wife in their 89 SuperCoupe... He was expecting a hard pedal when lite came on... instead had no stopping at all.
--------------78AE064EAD38BF0696BF80D2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Your ABS system sounds a lot like the one on my '86 Mark VII. When I needed parts to fix the master cylinder, I found out that Lincoln didn't offer any parts for the German made Teves system, only a complete system costing over $2400 ; and that was three years ago. I found this place in Dallas and obtained a complete remanufactured unit for $400 including shipping both ways for the old parts. Car Brakes and Truck Brakes from Prior Remanufacturing They may have a new accumulator which sounds like its leaking internally. My rebuilt system has been working flawlessly for the last three years. It looks like they have a complete unit for your car but no price listed. Give them a call. 1-800-444-4821
If you replace the whole unit, be prepared to deal with the multiple brake lines that connect the unit to the body. I had to cut them to remove the unit and Lincoln doesn't offer them. I had to make the lines myself. They look like short pretzels and have SAE nuts on the car side and Metric nuts on the Teves side. Also each line has different size nuts just to make it interesting. If you have to cut these lines, first make a diagram of which line connects to which ports. The rear brakes can be bled with just ignition key on and a steady depression of the brake pedal; the pump will push high pressure fluid as long as the brake pedal is depressed and the key is on. Front brakes need to be bled the normal way. Stan K.
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

--------------78AE064EAD38BF0696BF80D2--

their
instead
Oh dear... Talk about lack of forethought and a bad design!
Oh, it will have brakes, but you better have the legs of Arnold Schwarzenegger to make it work.

with
running
new
help
there you go, listen to the master blaster, sounds like he knows this system.