1992 tempo

hello I have a 1992 tempo v6 3.0L automatic the trans. only has 1st and reverse . if you manually shift from 1st to 2nd then to drive it will shift ,but if
you stop and leave it in drive , the trans. slips! any ideas? also can a transaxle from a 2.3L tempo fit or are they different? I can only find tempo transaxle flc on web but doesn`t say if there diff.