1993 Ford Escort Not Starting

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. My car won't start. When I turn the key all I get is a clicking noise from what I believe to be a starter relay. All of the lights work so I don't think it is
the battery. I also tried jumping it but still nothing. I replaced the starter last night hoping that would fix the problem but still all I get is clicking. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Jeff
Did you check the timing belt? Are you getting a spark?

IF not how old is the battery and how dirty are the battery terminals?
The engine is not turning at all. All the lights in the car come on when I turn the key half way but when I try to start the car all I hear is a click. The battery was replaced a few months ago and the terminals are clean and tight.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's got to be the starter, battery, or ignition switch. You already replaced the starter. However I do not know if the new one is any good (where did you buy it, is it really new or rebuilt). I do not know if the terminals on the starter are clean and tight. I also don't know how old the battery is. Also, these cars use crappy Mazda ignition swithces that need to be replaced every few years.
Ignore my previous comment about not knowing how old the battery is.
It's the starter or the ignition switch.
It was the ignition switch. Thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I just encountered a problem with a 94' Escort where the starter would keep turning the engine when the transmission was in park or neutral without any key in the switch! The owner had to put it in reverse to keep it from cranking when the car was parked. It turned out to be a bad ignition switch but the failure mode was weird. One of the contacts was stuck in the closed position because the small plastic pin which activates it, had melted and become shorter. This was apparently due to heat from the contact caused by an increase in resistance, which was the result of aging. I wonder if Ford knows about that one?
If you do some reading in the fourms over at http://ww.feoa.net you'll see a lot of ingition swithc problems. Mine has been replaced at least twice already.