1995 Ford Escort LX 1.9L bulb behind heater control panel

One of the bulbs behind the heater control panel burnt out, and I need to replace it. Specifically, the bulb on the left, the one closer to the A/C switch. How do I pull out the heater control to access the bulb? I tried prying it, but don't want to break anything. Also, what's the number on the bulb I need to replace it with?

Reply to
iamdrumming

The heater/AC control assembly has to be pulled out from the dash to access the three light bulbs. Start with removing the glove box compartment. This will give you access to the two heater/AC control cables. Disconnect both of them. Don't tamper with the passenger side air bag system which is also in that area. It would probably be a good idea to disconnect the car battery so the air bag can't accidentally go off in your face. Next remove the trim frame which surrounds the front of the heater/AC control panel by prying it carefully around the edges. This will expose the four screws that hold the control assembly in the dash opening. When those screws are removed the assembly can be pulled out far enough to disconnect the two electrical wiring connectors for the blower switch and lights. Now you can pull the assembly all the way out and change the bulbs, which are #194. If you need more details just ask.

Reply to
Fordfan

Thank you VERY much for the reply! Would it be possible to just disconnect the car battery, then pull out the heater control to access the burnt out bulb? Or do I absolutely need to remove the glove box compartment? I don't want to do any unnecessary steps. Of course I would think by disconnecting the heater control cables it would allow me to pull out the heater control right out, but would I still be able to access and replace the bulbs without having to disconnect the cables, and taking apart the glove compartment?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
iamdrumming

The procedure I gave you is from the Ford service manual, regarding how to change the bulbs in the heater/AC control assembly on your Escort. I think you'll find that the control assembly can't be pulled out far enough to access one or more of the bulbs without disconnecting the two control cables. The bulb which illuminates the round combination switch on the left side (blower/AC) is particularly difficult. You have to remove the switch from the control assembly to gain access to that bulb. This means the front panel has to be removed from the assembly, along with all the knobs, to get to the two screws that hold that switch. I suggest you first try to remove the control assembly without disconnecting the cables to see how far it will come out. If this doesn't work, you haven't wasted any time since all you have to do next is disconnect the cables. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Fordfan