1998 Ford Escort over rev at start

Hi
I have a 1998 escort 1.6. When I start the car the engine revs to about 2500/3000 and will only drop to 750/1000 revs after a few minutes, when the engine is warm, or if I repetedly turn the engine off and back on.
Can anybody offer any advice as to what the problem could be.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Have the codes read out. Check engine lite?
Disconnect the MAF sensor connector and see if it will run ok... if it doesnt, maybe it's the Throttle Position Sensor.
If it does run okay, clean the MAF.
Google for the how-to