1998 mystique can't fill tank

I need help. All of a sudden we can't put gas in the tank, the pump nozzle keeps getting set off. I went to a local Ford dealer and say its a flapper valve on the tank. The
part is 8 dollars and the labor is 3 hours at 80 dollars, Is there something I can try, i don't want to start dropping money in this car.
TIA Roger Levesque
rokibass wrote:

set off. I went to a local Ford dealer and say its a flapper valve on the tank. The part is 8 dollars and the labor is 3 hours at 80 dollars, Is there something I can try, i don't want to start dropping money in this car.
Try putting a toilet plunger over the (open) gas cap and push air through the valve.