Can't put gas in tank?

I have a 1998 Altima. When I try to fill it up with gas, the pump keeps turning off and gas comes out of the tank. I can only put a little at a time in and fill it very slowly. I don't let the tank get to empty because I know sometimes air gets in and it doesn't fill. Anyone ever see this before? Thanks

Reply to
Ken

Vent hole plugged, fuel pump sucked the tank flat?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

I never let the tank get to empty, where is the vent hole? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Ken

I have no idea where the vent hole is. They used to be in the gas cap in pre-smog days.

With a sealed fuel system, you don't have to let it get empty to flatten the tank, IN THEORY. For every gallon of gas the engine burns, a gallon of air has to get in. If it doesn't, something's got to give. With a really strong tank and fuel pump, you'll just get a vacuum on top of the fuel. But in the real world, either the tank collapses or the fuel pump can't draw. Note: this is all theory. Back in the pre smog days, I heard tales of this, but never very first hand, so I don't know if it really happened.

If you are very patient, how much gas can you get in the tank? How much gas does owner's manual say it should take?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet