2000 Lincoln automatic transmission problem - won't shift

Hi,
Standard 2000 Continental w 4.6L v8 lost acceleration/power while on the interstate, managed to get it to the shoulder, got flatbedded back home. Checked it the next day, start fine, no warnings, won't go
anywhere. Checked the transmission fluid, nothing. Added 5 Q mercon v, and was able to get it ont he road, thouhgt it was going to be ok, but it won't shift out of first.
There's no fluid under so the base of the car, so it's not like the pan gasjet gave way. Anybody got any ideas where the ATF went? It's my understanding that if it's not leaking, where are the 5 missing quarts?
Thanks, -Cp.
Likely a bad vacuum device, it sucked the fluid into the engine and burned it.
Jim

--

For that vintage Lincoln, I don't beleive there is a vacuum modulator.
More likely there is a leak, just not obvious (slow leak).