2000 Ranger oil gauge

I cranked the truck up this morning and everything was fine except I noticed that the oil pressure gauge bottomed out a few seconds after it started. It popped back up and then back down so I quickly shut the
truck off. I checked the dipstick and it was obviously slinging oil. Turned the truck over again, it popped up, popped down and back up quickly and stayed good all day. Could it have been simply a small clog in the sending unit? the truck has 85,000 and runs great. I know that gauge is basically an idiot light on a needle. any ideas? Thanks. Houston

That's an unfortunate choice of words!!!
You didnt check the oil level?
Oil level was good. I could tell it was moving around because it was risen on the dipstick.

It could be a problem with the sending unit or system wiring. However, I suggest you find an alternate way to verify the oil pressure because it could also be a failing oil pump or main bearing problems.
mike
Does it happen when the weather turns cooler, and never when the engine is warm? If so, I believe the sending unit might be bad. I have the same symptoms with my 2000 Explorer.