2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Threaded View

Hi all,

    The manual specifies the plug should be AWSF-32F but the Ford parts
dealer gave me AGSF-32F-M.

Is this a valid replacement?

If so, what should the gap be?

Thanks in advance.

- tmarin7

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

i dunno, i had the same problem with my 02 ranger.  the plugs that were
in it were a different number than the ones ford gave me for replacement
(which was actually the same as the f150s, if you can believe that on a
3.0L Ranger vs a 4.6L f150)  seems to work fine hahaa (if you can say a
3.0L ranger works fine hahahhaa pos)

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Get motorcraft plugs from a dealer, and check your calibration sticker
under the hood for the gap, probably .052 to .056 range.

Sleepdog

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

What you'll find when you pull the plugs is that the original plugs are not
all the same.  I'm not kidding.  It has something to do with the polarity of
the voltage sent to the various plugs.  The ones that they gave you are
probably plugs that will work in place of either of the original plugs.

CJB

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Aren't the 2.5 V6's in Mystiques set up the same way? two different part
numbers depending on which side of the engine they are?

--

(\_ _/)
Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

I'm pretty sure that's right.

CJB

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

says...

As a cost-saving move, the factory plugs on many vehicles with
distributorless ignition that use coilpacks have platinum coating on
only one electrode. On one plug, it will be the center electrode, the
other version will be the ground electrode. That is because one coil is
used to fire TWO plugs. One plug will be on the power stroke, the other
on the exhaust stroke. The path basically goes from ground to center
electrode on one plug, through the coil, then from center to ground on
the other plug.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/l/bldef_159.htm

law!!
Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Right.  And the way that's accomplished is by sending voltages of opposite
polarity to each of the two plugs on the same pack.

CJB

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Very magical and imaginitive but against the law...the law of physics at
least.... someone should get a grip on the basics of waste spark systems
before giving the world a tutorial on hocus-pocus ignition
delivery...........kjun

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

You know what, I'm basically repating the descriptions that I've read.  I'd
be fascinated if you'd explain further.  I'm not sure how a spark gap can
jump from the center electrode to ground in one case, and jump from the
ground to the center electrode unless you reverse the voltage at the center
electrode from positive to negative.  It would be wonderful if you'd
enlighten me.

See, I'm willing to learn, and I've learned a lot just from reading the
posts in usenet over the years.  The only thing that irritates me is guys
like you who rarely if ever post to help people, but are quick to jump on a
guy like me doing the best I know how.

Having said that, sincerely, explain how it really works so I'll know next
time.

Thanks,

CJB

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Voltage is not the same as current.

See: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h41.pdf

Page 9 has a very good diagram.

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

http://www.crownvic.net/tech/sp_101.html

http://www.wrenchead.ca/HTML%20Presentation%20folder/sld069.htm

Bob

-

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

to #1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground, SPARK, to
electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which ever one is
under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste spark is used on
the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because  the voltage goes from
electrode to ground on hafl the plug and ground to electode on the over half
they have different  ware out rate so Ford put platimum on both electrodes on
half the plug and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

goes to #1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground,
SPARK, to electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which
ever one is under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste
spark is used on the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because  the
voltage goes from electrode to ground on half the plugs and ground to electode
on the other half they have different  wear out rate so Ford put platimum on
both electrodes on half the plugs and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

The two plugs that fire together are connected in series. The voltage goes to
#1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground, SPARK, to
electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which ever one
is under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste spark is
used on the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because  the voltage
goes from electrode to ground on half the plugs and ground to electode on the
other half they have different  wear out rate so Ford put platimum on both
electrodes on half the plugs and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

http://www.motorcraft.com/catalog.do This tells all the applications

Re: 2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

AGSF32FMF6 for 24 valve 0.54 gap