2002 ford ranger 4x4 4wd noise when turned

when i engage the 4wd the front had a loud grinding and popping noise when i turn the dealer said its normal but i beg to differ

Gregory wrote:

Nope thats normal. If you want something quality, you shouldn't have bought a ford. Toyota and Nissan don't do it. I had my buddies toyota out one time and didn't even hear it engage.. thought it was broken cause i didn't hear the big clunk of my ford.
I've put more goddamn shift motors in my 4wd............. CHRIST
Wish ford would put the 4x4 on the floor where it belongs, not on a button
Picasso wrote:

i like american cars but the button thing is pretty dumb because a shifter is better
and a shifter is better because...........??

its better because it keeps the cpu better Jim Warman wrote:

Jim Warman wrote:

Because it doesn't involve a jesus shift motor. I've seen them freeze up more than once, or just plain die.