2005 Taurus fuel filter replacement learning experience

I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Taurus but didn't realize what I was getting into. This is my 4th Taurus, the others being a '90, '95, and '00. All call for the same filter but the '05 uses a special fuel line clip. Most of the filters come with the clips because they get brittle and break. But the catalog on the 05, which calls for the same filter, has a special clip at tank end and a push release at engine end. I didn't know any of this so I had to figure out how to get the old filter off. Like always, the plastic clip on the tank side broke when I was removing the filter. The clip that comes with the new filter didn't fit. (All this happened on a Saturday night; had to run to Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys to search for the clip; none had it.) So now I was suck. Monday I went to NAPA, they never let me down, and the guys couldn't find it in the books or in a "help" packages, and the

05 clip doesn't come with the filter. I went to a Ford dealer, and surprise, Motorcraft sells the filter with NO clips. The parts guy looked in the book for the 05 and the only listing was for the whole fuel line, no clips are listed separately. What a joke! He said that the service guy, if he broke one, would have to end up cutting the line and running a hose to the filter. Thinking this was getting out of hand, that evening I went to the NAPA site (because they never let me down) and behold, I find a listing and a photo of what looks to be the clips! I printed the page, took it to NAPA, they didn't carry it (couldn't even find it their books) but would order them from the warehouse. I picked them up today and they are the correct clips. Even though they only come as a 10 piece lot at $7.77, I was still satisfied with the ending. To me there is nothing worse than starting a simple job and seeing it grow into a mess. The NAPA number is FILNCK11. To those who are about to change the filter I hope this helps.
Reply to
dmtaurus

There are tools available to release the OEM clips. If you had been properly trained, you would know this, There are also, as you found out, different clips for different applications that require yet more different tools. I'm glad you figured it out, but remember what you learned if you ever have to have a simple fuel filter replaced at a shop and wonder why the price is so "high".

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I think the bigger question is why would Ford go from making a successful, proven design, to a design, albeit successful, but yet incur unnecessary tooling and changeover costs to the manufacturing process. Hence, the mechanic at the dealer has to get a "special' tool to do a simple change-out. That's not a smart way to do good business, for Ford or the mechanic. Training has some part but realistically it should not be that complex. I figured out how to do the old style in a snap, but the new style has too many pitfalls that even a trained mechanic can fall into. The new clip is not nearly as robust as the old clip. I'm not blaming the shop or mechanic for the price they might charge. If there is any blame to be found in this it's with the designer who fixed something that wasn't broke.

Tom Adk> dmtaurus wrote:

Reply to
dmtaurus

Why? Because they can save a few cents on the production line. This is nothing new in the car business. Service is where the dealers make their money, so they can easily afford the special tools and training. Manufacturers concentrate on keeping costs down, rather than making service easier for DIYers or independent shops.

Reply to
Bob

In this case specifically, the new style clip is not any easier to install than the old design and, because of it's crossection, is easier to break. so where is he labor savings? There is none. Material savings are nil.

Now as far as the dealers go, yes, it's the service bays that make the money. But if I can shave minutes off the off the disassembly of something in the shop, and reduce the possible risk of breaking the old part and having to dig it out, why would I not want to do that? I can spend those shaved minutes working on something else and making more money. Savings in tools and training is what a dealer would desire, not more of it. Nobody said that DIY'ers were the interest of the car companies.

The whole po> dmtaurus wrote:

and changeover

Reply to
dmtaurus

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

You're absoluitely right! They want to make a few extra pennies. ie; Back in the 1960's I owned several Cadillacs. I found that the Cad prices were outa sight! But but the Buick prices for the EXACT SAME PART was much cheaper. So guess which parts I bought?

They will do anything to make a buck!! Doc ================================

Reply to
Doc