73 Ford Torino - Airborne

Sister has her license for a week, and we're driving grandma's 73 Ford Torino. 351 Windsor. Army Green. Tall vinyl seats. On the country road there's a sign that says "dip in road". Sister floors it. 70 mph. Steep rise.

We go airborne. It is instantly quiet except for the high whine of the Windsor engine. No seat belts on of course and I find myself, in the passenger's side, in an experience of zero gravity, floating several inches above the seat. What a wierd feeling.

Then we descend, the ceiling presses down, hard on the top of my head, bending my neck. In the next instant my body and hips are slammed hard down into the seat. I can feel the wraps of paper and old beer bottle caps underneath the seat forging their shape into my ass and we impact far below hard into the dip in the road.

All four hub-caps fly off. She stops the car slowly. Wow.

I walk back along the ditches and get the hub caps. Neighbors (Ohio people from Kentucky no doubt) come out and say, "Tha Baack of youu cahr loooked like FIIIIRE". "Youu lucky to be a'Live!!".

Bent the idler arm flat and I replaced that. She never handled very good after that. Figured it was made to be a taxi or army staff car. Wasn't great to begin with anyhow. The 351 would wind-out at 103 and it took a LONG time to get that fast. Had a killer air conditioner though. Hard to see out the back.

Reply to
Tom Line

I've jumped so many cars it's hard to count. I used to jump my '72 LTD frequently on a railroad grade crossing on Beaver Creek Road in Powell, TN. I cracked the oil pan on my dad's '92 Dodge spirit jumping it over an old grade crossing in WV. On that same grade crossing I bent a frame crossmember on my '92 Ranger 4x2 when I came down hard and plowed the crossmember into the raised center pavement in the road. I always drove away tho.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

When I used to work 2nd shift or 3rd shift for the Navy in Philly I would always cross this railroad crossing every morning on the way home. On the way there is was a gradual slope after crossing, on the way home it was a very steep drop. At that time I was still driving my '68 Galaxie 500. I would always get up to 65-75+ MPH to jump the railroad crossing on the way home. I would get airborne every morning. After a few morning of hitting my head I realized that if I really cranked down on my lap belt I would stay glued to my seat through the whole jump, and not hit my head. I always left my shoulder belt pretty loose so I could move around a bit.

That was a great car. I never broke anything after jumping those tracks every day for months. That old Ford was a tough car. I finally killed it off when I swapped the open chamber 302 heads for a pair of closed chamber 289 heads. I guess the jump in compression was too much for the rings. I'll be buying a new short block most likely within a week or two, at which point I'll be driving my Galaxie again. It's been a bit over 3 months since I last drove her. She lasted about 5 minutes with those closed chamber heads and the new intake and carb, but it was a fun 5 minutes. :)

A weird twist of fate may actually get me my first car back ('67 Galaxie 500 fastback 289). The guy I sold it to never changed the title over to his name, and stupid me trusted him to return my plates for me after he got it home and transferred the title. It apparently never happened and yesterday I got a call about the car being towed for being abandoned. I called the buyer and he hung up on me when I told him who I was. I've been told I can just go get a duplicate title, have the DMV void the original, pay the guy who towed it, and take my car. At the moment it's technically still my car as it's been over 3 months since I sold it and the buyer never transferred the title! In any case, I may end up with the car back. It would be cool, but I don't think I'll keep it (I have a couple friends who may be interested though). The frame is rotted in a couple places (sat in a field for many years... tall grass holds lots of moisture against the frame). All in all though it's held up fairly well considering what it's been through and the

202,000 miles on the original engine and transmission.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

What a hoot! Thanks!