1972 Ford Torino

My brother has 3-1972 Ford Torinos he would like to sell, possibly for parts. He lives in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Any interest?

Loretta

Reply to
Loretta

theres probly so much rust even the junkyard magnet wouldnt pick em up

Reply to
Bob H

What make you believe that, did you think a Torino is a Japanese car? There are lots of early seventies Torinos at old car shows. 1970/71 Torino 500s are common at those shows

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And when was the last time you saw one on the street?

Ford produced millions of those. Aside from a few preserved for auto shows, where are they now?

One of my great aunts had a 1970-ish Gran Torino. By 1976, the vinyl roof was flapping loose and the bottoms of the fenders and rocker panels had rusted away. Its favorite pastime was stalling as you pulled into traffic.

Reply to
DH

they're all POS

Reply to
Bob H

One must realize that not all owners properly maintain their vehicles and they may stall out on occasion.

Since I do not have access to every part of the country there is no way I can know how many are still daily runners, but I'm willing to bet there are many more Torinos still running around than there are Japanese cars from the same area. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's for sure, but the Japanese have improved their cars a great deal from what they sold in the seventies.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, gee, there were more Torinos than Japanese cars sold, during the period.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well they certainly are far more Torinos at old car shows. One rarely see an old Japanese sedan at one LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That should be the case, whether or not the Torino was superior (it wasn't, it was a total POS, as was our Ford Country Squire of the same vintage, our Custom 500, our neighbor's LTD and my f-i-l's '78 big-ass Ford, all self-destructed early).

Ford built 2.6 million Torinos (a complete waste of time and money) between

68 and 76. Toyota sold a negligible amount of cars here in that period. Even if the Toyota was several times better and more durable than the Ford (and that is probably the case), there would still be far fewer Toyotas surviving.

And, since Toyotas were relatively unkown and more people were driving Torinos back then (the poor fools), the old-car market, the nostalgia-driven end of the auto market, would also tend to favor putting resources into preserving and restoring Torinos over Toyotas.

Reply to
DH

Will you stop it? Don't bring in facts and logic into this. Mike can't handle it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Japan had not yet learned how to paint a car or keep it from rusting. A '71/'72 Corolla, 240Z, or Honda 600 or Civic was a pile of rust dust by

1976. 100,000 was beyond the life expectation.

The war-horse Fairlanes/Torinos/Montegos/Cyclones(& clones through

1979)lumbered along for decades before succumbing.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

What make you think the Brits, the Germans and the Italians sold a lot of sedans in the US in the seventies? Go to any old car show and you will see plenty from those counties but rarely a Japanese sedan. There are even all British old car shows. One may see a low mileage 'Z' car or RX7 on occasion, but the old sedans are in the bone yard.

mike

.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

What does this have to do with anything in the message below or with what I said?

I don't see where I said or indicated that I thought the Brits, Germans or Italians sold a lot of cars in the US in the '70s. Quite frankly, I neither know nor care if there are a lot of old British, German or Italian old show cars.

Get a clue man.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I sold my like new 72 LTD convertible, that cost me around 4k new, last year for $16,000. I should have waited it's worth around $23,000 today ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

DUH apparently you need everything explain to you like a child. You were agreeing with the referance to the fact that the Torino sold much better than Japanese cars. The Torino also sold much better than European cars yet the Torino and the European cars are appearing at car shows and no Japanese cars.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I know what I said. But I said nothing about European cars.

Perhaps what you need to do is learn how to express your thoughts clearly so that people can follow your convoluted reasoning.

Learning to in-line post (I know you're old - but there might be hope yet) will help other people follow the threads, as well. Of course, with your convoluted logic, there is only some much in-line posting will do.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Let us review the discussion, shall we class?

He said; There are far more Torinos than Toyotas at old car shows "Since Toyotas were relatively unknown and more people were driving Torinos back then" as the reason there were more Torinos at old cars shows and no Toyotas

To which YOU jumped in with, "Will you stop it? Don't bring in facts and logic into this. Mike can't handle it." Obviously you agreed with his contention

To which I replied logic says total sales is NOT the reason, by pointing out there are plenty of European cars from the period at car shows and they sold fewer of those than Torinos as well. Apparently there MUST be another reason there are few Japanese cars that show up at old car shows.

Perhaps what you need to do is learn how to express your thoughts clearly so that people can follow your convoluted reasoning about who is bring facts to the discussion LOL .

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Your logic is faulty. You're comparing the wrong sales. You need to compare the sales of European cars to sales of Toyotas in the period you are talking about. While we know that the sales of Toyotas and European cars were both less than the sales of Torinos, we don't know how the sales of Toyotas compare to European cars.

It should also be pointed out that people were familar with VWs, BMWs, Mercedes, MGs (which has been sold to the Chinese), before they were familar with Toyotas. In addition, the people who bought the European cars (we should add Peugeots to the list - I see some around NYC, still) were more likely to keep them classic cars during the 70s (ok, we shouldn't consider Peugeots to be classic cars; the Peugeot 504s are still being made in Africa).

I don't think who brings facts to the discussion is that relevent.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to