83 LTD Won't go backwards

I bought a 1983 LTD this week with a 200 6 cylinder for $20. The car looks great and runs great, needs plugs and wires is all. It goes forword just fine, had it on the highway and top speed was about 70mph.
The only problem is that it won't go into reverse and it when it's cold it doesn't want to shift out of park. I was wondering if it is something with the transmission or if there is something else i can fix to make it go in reverse.
Thank you very much!
Problem with the tranny.
What do you expect for $20.
thank you very much, and i didn't expect much of anything for $20 :)
SizzleMP wrote:

Check the shift linkage. The plastic grommets that hold it (and the downshift linkage, too, while you're looking) crumble and fall out. IF you catch it quick enough, new grommets fix it - otherwide, bad tranny.
PoD

This would only apply to an AOD.

Check the linkage. If that is OK, the little C5 trans probably has badly leaking internal seals in which case an overhaul is the ony fix. I had one that developed tha same problem. Since the car was on loan to my nephew 800 miles away, we donated the car for the tax deduction which was a net financial gain.
Hey, if the rest of the car is ok but you need a transmission overhaul, sounds like a good deal to me for $20 plus the repair.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:27:43 GMT, "sglasser"

Thats what I think too. I'd just go to a junkyard and get another tranny.
any guesses as to what a fair price to pay for a tranny is??
snipped-for-privacy@my.com wrote:

I got a horse that wont go backwards too. I just spin her around in a tight circle when I want to get out of a tight spot. No problem at all !!!! I guess she's afraid of getting rear ended :)