'85 Tempo start and run

When I first start the car it runs rough and will idle down and stall. Once it smooths out it is OK in park or neutral but stalls as soon as I put it
in gear. Once warmed up, I can get it in gear and moving but it hesitates badly and stalls frequently. If I can feather the gas enough to build up a little speed and RPM it will suddenly take off and run fine at highway speed. If I slow down with out keeping the RPM's up, it will start to hesitate again and may stall. If I can ride the brake and keep gas to it with RPM's up it will stay running and go.
When it is very hot, like say driving 50 miles on the highway and then stopping for 5 to 10 minutes, it will turn over but not fire. It has to sit and cool substantially before starting again. Once started I am back to the same running problem described above. Any ideas will be appreciated and pursued. Thanks.
most 85 Tempos are in the junkyard by now.....you need to buy a new reliable car

Be that as it may, this on eonly has 85,000 miles on it and gets good gas mileage when it is on the road. But, thanks for the advise.

Check fuel filter, MAP sensor, and IAC.
-LMB

Had a Taurus that did the same thing, fuel pump was heating up and failing. Without a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail you will never be able to diagnose that problem. I though it was vapor locking at first as the cool down and it ran symptom is the same. With the gauge attached you could see the pressure drop off with the car running. Of course I'm assuming you change your fuel filter when your supposed to.
--
John

I think you have more than one problem. UNLESS it's a BAD FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR! Find it and see if it's not leaking into the manifold pressure line.
You should also smell raw gasoline.
Did YOU TRY holding pedal to floor to start it? If it starts then, look at the FPR and also at the engine Coolant temp sensor (not same as gauge)
if not, First your idle speed control isnt working right.