90 taurus - heater hose pin leak

I found that there is a small pin hole leak on the underside of the heater hose (WP to pipe) that shoots out coolant when hot on to the engine. This is causing the steam under the hood.

It is a '90 3.0L taurus and the hose is behind the alternator. How easy it is to replace this hose myself? ( i have done small stuff like replacing thermostat, coolant, batt, plugs etc)

Can I to a temp fix to drive this car to the shop? I dont want to be driving with a 'steaming' car.

How much would it cost approximately to get all the heater hoses replaced and the radiator hoses too.?

Thanks.

Reply to
nika

i pin hole theres no quick fix but if garage is close by wont hurt to drive

Reply to
jimmyh

This hose is easy to get to once you remove the alternator. It's right on top and the bolts are easily accessible. You may want to first remove the coolant reservoir to get better leverage on the bolts. While you're at it, don't forget the small hose near the distributor. That left me stranded on the interstate on a hot afternoon. Fortunately it was a generic hose.

Reply to
Bob

I will give it a shot. while at it, I will see if I can change the other heater hoses too. though I noticed one end is crimped on a couple of them. How do I take the crimp off. Must I put back the crimp or a clamp would do?

Thanks for your replies.

Reply to
nika

The crimped ones sound more like AC hoses.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Just pull the crimped end off with pliers and use an ordinary clamp on the new hose.

Reply to
Bob

A cut off tool will get the hose off. yes a clamp will do.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

When i had to cut off the crimp on my PS hose, i used a 4.5" angle grinder. It was tight, but you got to use the tools available. It kind of stinks too as you slightly cut into the rubber. THen a normal clamp when you put the new hose on. I salvaged my leaking PS return hose that way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Tauri have always had heater hose "assemblies", metal heater tubes with hoses crimped on the ends and corners. You can cut the crimps, replace the hoses and use clamps.FWD Continentals used this setup also. This works on PS return hose and trans cooler line "assemblies" also.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks to all for tips and suggestions. I replaced the 3 hoses connecting to engine/WP. Could not get access to the tee-to-pipe hose .. it is very useful to use the cut-off tool and a locking plier.

3 hoses had 3 k> Shar> >
Reply to
nika