92 Taurus L Wagon 3.0

We purchased the car last weekend from a private owner <bought car new in 92> who maintained it religiously <documentation of maintanence bordering on compulsion provided with car>. The vehicle has just over
109k on it, and runs beautifully.
The problem we are encountering is a vibration in the front end that becomes pronounced at higher speeds. I noticed a very very slight shudder in the steering wheel at highway speeds previously; yesterday we had occasion to reach 70 mph and at that point the shudder increased to the point that the dashboard was vibrating. At 65 it's fine, at 75 it's fine, at 70 it goes nuts.
I had been thinking that the slight shudder I noticed previously could be a wheel out of balance <new tires in 2000 with only about 10k on them now>; the 70 mph thing has me wondering. It's my first Ford, so I don't know anything about how they behave.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dragon
snipped-for-privacy@specified.com wrote:

slow down.... bet the previous owner never drove at 70 mph.....
jim opined in

Get real... he wants to drive it on the freeway. You act as though 70 is unsafe.
I think the Taurus suspension is prone to this. What you're seeing is a suspension design tuning problem, IMO. I had same problem
ALL bushings, tie rods, must be tight and in good shape.. plus good struts. Otherwise ANY out-of-balance or out-of-round condition in the tire will result in that.
I suggest going to a tire shop that does load-balancing (tire against a roller that puts load on it) and buy a set of 2 REALLY GOOD tires for the front.
Dont rotate.
Come on, don't be ridiculous. Why should the car not be able to drive comfortably at 70 mph and above. In 1986 when Ford first sold the Taurus, one of their selling points was how steady it was at 85 mph, and it was. I donated a 1989 and 1990 Taurus last years, both with over 200,000+ miles, and both still ran steady at 80+ mph.( The 1990 had the original transmission) The car have obvious Tire, and, or other front end problems. First thing, have the wheels properly balanced. If the problem persist, check the alignment, and look for worn front end components.

V.B. Mercon opined in

Maybe "Jim" is onna "safe drivers" - those who merge onto freeways at 55 and expect others to move over...
;)
snipped-for-privacy@specified.com wrote:

Swap tires front to rear. Noise change? Look at tires close for bubbles Check the rims for built up crud and clean it off. Check the rotors while the tires are off. Look a the CV joints for cracked boots.
BOB