93 Ford Escort LX won't crank

I was just given a 93 Ford Escort LX.. I was told if I got it running I could have it. Apparently when the person had the vehicle it just died and it had to be towed home. When you try and start it it doesnt even crank. I would think that is some electrical problem but do not think it is the starter because the car just died when he was driving it and if it was the starter I don't think it would cause it to just die like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need this car up and running. If you have any questions that might narrow it down please ask and I will answer as best as I can. I will say when you turn the key all the lights and everything work and when you try to start it there is a clicking noise in what I think is the fuel pump relay and the square black (relay/fuse?) in the fuse box under the hood near the battery. Thanks for any help in advance

Reply to
RedWingFan

Is it a fast clicking or a slow clicking? It may be the starter relay in that case, but that doesn't mean the relay is bad - it may be that the battery isn't giving it enough current to do the job. Just because the lights work doesn't mean the battery has the gumption to turn over the engine.

I'd start by jumping it. If it cranks, you need at least a battery - or a good charge on the battery. That *might* solve the problem. It seems unlikely that a battery would just die in the car while driving it, though if the alternator was no good and not charging it, I suppose that the combination of the two could cause the vehicle to quit. If it cranks, but won't start, then you are looking at investigating whether the engine has spark, gets fuel, etc.

Any idea how well it was maintained? Also, I hope the person who said you can have it if you can make it run is serious. I'd hate to see you do all the work to it just to be used as free labor.

Reply to
GMach3

I havent but should have tried to jump it. I will do that. It was maintained pretty well while he had but not sure how well the person before him maintained it. I have been trying to research any possiblities and found only 1 similar thing that happened to someone and someone said it could be the crankshaft sensor. I don't know how realistic that is but it is a start. The person that gave it to me is a relative so I am pretty confident about being able to keep it but thanks for the concern.

The clicking that I hear is just the one click when I turn the key to start it. It isnt like a rapid clicking noise. Normally I would think it was the starter or starter relay but just having it die like that while it was driving is the "sticky" part of this whole thing.

Reply to
RedWingFan

No it isnt.. that's confusion about the term "crank"... somehow some think it has to do with the engine firing while the starter turns it.

This is why some here might be cross with the miss-use of terms.. see what happens?!!! CPS has nothing to do with the starter working.

Test lite across connections should do the trick.. you actually WANT it to stay reliably not-working in order to fix it, so as to not get stranded again.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well I am not mechanically inclined at all so I don't even know where to begin or have the tools to do it or the money to have it looked at so I am kinda screwed I guess

Reply to
RedWingFan

A test lite is ten bucks max.. if you put that lite across a connection that seems to be metal-metal and it lights when the joint should be carrying current, that shows it's not a good connection

But here's the rub. Most folks have a buddy or friend that can help em out.

And what did you expect to find here, if you couldnt fix it yourself or afford a shop?

A special way to turn the key?

RedW> Well I am not mechanically inclined at all so I don't even know where

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic