'94 Tbird fuel pump

Hi,
I gotta '94 Tbird LX V8 with 57k miles. Generally in good shape.
Remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire recall?
I'm drivin' down the hiway with my original eqpt.
Firestones and the tread peels off the left rear tire. Makes a horrible flap as the peeled tread gets caught on a wheel component.
I pull over in a dangerous spot and the engine dies. Acts just like it's out of gas (it isn't) when I try to start it. I checked everything: no apparent problem.
I had to tow it to the dealer.
I figger the tread damaged the wire to the fuel pump or maybe the pump itself which is located in front of the fuel tank.
Has anybody worked on the fuel pump? Do I stand a chance of crawling under the car and, say, repairing a broken wire or connector? Any other ideas?
Or do I gotta give it to the Dreaded Dealer? :-(
Thanks, Puddin'
Easy fix. Besides, your fuel lines are on the right side of the car.
Directly behind the left fender well inside the trunk is the Indertia Fuel Shutoff Switch. Pull the trunk liner back a bit and you'll see the switch mounted inside. There's a button on top. Just push it. (Instructions are in your Owner's Manual).
Puddin' Man wrote:

Did you check to see if the inertia switch had tripped?

Puddin' Man opined in

Maybe "generally" but not TOO well maintained from what you said.

And just like the Explorers' the damn thing didnt happen alla sudden..
There was warning.. which was evidently ignored.
Freakin tires do NOT come apart without feeling like you're driving on hexagonal wheels, first.
SOME Firestones reallly suck... others are average to good.

See above.. not TOO well maintained or you would know thats the filter.
If you could visualize "fixing" the problem, maybe you could change it.
The pumps in the tank.

No comment needed

Arent you lucky you dont have to! Farley nailed it.
You do realize that by announcing a recall they are absolved of any responsibility if you have an accident as a result of tire failure. In fact if you kill someone else you could be charged with negligent homicide.
--
Ignorance is the curse of God, Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to
heaven. --Shak

What's that got to do with the thread?
- NOTHING! Post it separately.
He attempted to lay the blame on Firestone... but, as I point out, the damn thing did NOT come apart without warning.
And there's no recall on those tires, AFAIK.
Or with reality for that matter. ;)
mike hunt