95 ford escort tries to start on its own

car keeps trying to start on its own in park and nutrual stops making the noise in drive I have to unhook the battery cable to make it stop running have spent over 200 dollares already on people guessing (Starter, was just
replaced but if you unplug wire from starter syloniod it stops PLEASE HELP!!!!
"bischofsteel" wrote:
car keeps trying to start on its own in park and nutrual stops making the noise in drive I have to unhook the battery cable to make it stop running have spent over 200 dollares already on people guessing (Starter, was just replaced but if you unplug wire from starter syloniod it stops PLEASE HELP!!!!
===================== Replace the defective ignition switch. It is applying start current all the time. The transmission interlock switch prevents current from reaching the starter until the trans is placed in park or neutral.
Good luck.
Rodan.
Yes, replace the ignition switch in the steering column NOW! There was a recall, I think, but I forgot which years it covered. Several cars have burned in driveways, just sitting. A new switch is readily available and not too dificult a job as long as you have a manual.
PoD

Ignition switch, Ignition switch, change it fast.