'95 Ford Taurus Front Windshield Replacement Instructions

I'm looking for instructions to replace the front windshield with hope of purchasing the replacement from the junk yard. The crack is minor but will not pass certification for re-sale and I expect my insurance
company will not cover the cost since the car is up for sale. How difficult can it be? The hardest part I figure will be suspending the thing over the car as I try to lower it into place. I haven't much to loose since the window replacement cost at a autoshop will probably be about 1/2 the value of the car!
Barry opined in

What difference does that make? It happened while you own it. If you've cancelled the comp coverage that's a whole differentr thing

I've done it... why dont you let us know - after :)
SOMETIMES, the mobile crack fixers can fix a minor straight line crack.. have you tried them?

The problem is that the windshield is an important safety part. In the event of an crash which cause the car to turn over, the windshield is an important part of structure of the car and helps keep the roof from collapsing. If it is not properly installed, it can pop out resulting in death or serious injury. For it to be properly installed, it has to be installed just so.
http://www.securityworld.com/library/automotive/windshieldinstallation.html
http://www.ppgprostars.com/1_2_look.htm
Jeff

It shouldn't matter to the insurance company that the car is up for sale. Its yours, it cracked while you were covered under their policy.
--
DM

Barry wrote:

If you look around you can get a 93-96 Taurus windshield for ~$150 installed. Many glass companies will install your used windshield for ~$75 with no warranty or guarantee against breakage upon installation.Add that to the $25-50 you spend for a used glass. That 150-200 tops for new looks good from a hassle avoidance standpoint. BTW, I drive used cars, I can't afford new. I've found one of the best investments in a used car is a new windshield, even if not cracked. After ~50,000+miles they get "sandblasted" from road grit. If you look really close you can see the minute scratches and pits. This causes the wipers to smear and haze in light rain in spite of being "new". Most people don't know this. The thinking is "it's not cracked,,,," It's also a good selling(or buying) point when properly put forth. I recently purchased a 94 Tempo V-6 with 70K miles. I test drove it in light rain and the "new" wipers smeared terribly. The dealer had a new glass installed and after negotiations, I got the car for $1450. I nearly sold it a week later for $2500 but declined. Look for the "sandblasted" windshield when buying, it is dead proof of purported "highway miles" on a car. Cars driven around town don't get it as bad. For ~$200, every used car I buy gets a new windshield just for safety. Used glass is an expensive waste of time. This is, of course unless, you are dealing with something obscure like a Ford Insta Clear or similar. ($1500 new, $800 used if you can find one).         Just my experience, Tom
Tom Adkins opined in

YOu dont say anything about the condition of the rest of the car.. nor the powertrain.
If the engine is a 3.0 and trans an AX4N, plus the rest of the car in good condition, you have one of the best bargains in a ten year old car.
With new glass as stated above, you can turn this into a selling point.