95 Windstar Knocking

Okay...my wife really did it this time I believe, but before I take the Windstar into a mechanic to check out, maybe I can get some opinions here. The wife set out yesterday morning to do some chores.... drove a couple of
miles at 25mph until she reached the interstate, then another 5 miles or so on the interstate at 60 - 65mph until she finally realized she had the transmission in 2nd gear rather than Drive! She said she felt some *pulling* from the vehicle, but thought maybe a brake shoe was sticking and was going to stop after she got off of the interstate. Now the engine is making a fairly loud knocking sound when first started for about a second and then knocks (not as loud as when first started, but very audible) while driving, especially when the transmission shifts. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power....so far that is. My guess is that one or more pistons is shot and this is going to be an expensive repair :( The vehicle has 133,000 miles on it and drove very nicely until now. I've always taken very good care of it....matter of fact I'd just did a complete oil change a couple of days prior to this. Any other guesses and round-a-bout repair costs?
Hello !!!
I am no expert and have not very much info to offer as it could be a few different things, but like I said I am no expert.
I have had a few cars that I DID break a rod and the repair was costly as heck as I just got a new motor for the thing.
I have had a couple of festivas that from the way my wife drives damaged the lifters and caused a loud knocking sound also and I have no clue of what the knock is from, but you can tell the lifters are loud.
On BOTH cars I did a (OIL FULSH) with clean oil, and then added some stuff to improve the performance. You know that stuff that is for adding to oil every 60,000 miles. Well I got some and was the realy cheap stuff like $1.99 a can.
Now I still have one of the festivas that I been driving for the last 6 months putting around a 1,000 miles a week and changing oil every 3 months with a flush and new power up stuff each time and using heavy duty oil filters.
I am not saying this will work for you, but them festivas can take a killing and keep going as long as you dont drive with a death wish. LOL !!!
She now has it and has been driving it for the last few weeks. Also the head seal is shot and is shooting out oil. Still she keeps going and going and going.
Right now she is at 150,000 miles.
I say try adding oil flush to the oil, let it run for 5 mins or so, and drain.
Replace with fresh oil and filter and add another flush to system.
Drain and refill only this time fill it and add power up or something like that and make sure it includes the benfit of reducing noisy lifters.
You might not fix it, but it may last you another ??,???? miles before you need to get it repaired.
Good luck !!!

so
*pulling*
going
driving,
and

so
*pulling*
going
driving,
and
All your symptoms sound like a rod bearing. Probably needs a short block.

I agree with scott. 133k on that motor is at the point where extreme operation conditions start taking out parts. If she over-revved the snot out of it, a rod knock is certainly not out of the question. Condemning the short block is not, however, acceptable without a professional investigation of the symptoms. Mark
On Sat, 29 May 2004 10:16:31 -0600, Guardian wrote:

Thanks for the replies Mickey, Scott, and Marky..... I'll have it checked out by a mechanic....