97 escort lock wont open in the cold

Anyone else have a problem with the lock not opening when its cold. Just the drivers mind you. No its not water, won't even open from the inside very easily. Soon as the car is warm it works fine. Been this way for a
week. Soon as its warm I'm getting my hand dirty and removing the door cover to see what is wrong.
Drew
You probably do have moisture contamination in the lube inside the door-lock. Moisture contamination will cause the lube to freeze at a much lower temperature. Until you get to remove the door panel to check, clean and lube the door lock and linkage, you might want to squirt some good ol' Trusty WD-40 into the lock and linkage as best as you can, where you can reach. And while you are under the hood, check your Battery electrolyte. Cold Temperature will sap your battery to death if you do not have the battery cell plates covered by electrolyte.

is this a UK escort, with the thin hexagon type key? if so it sounds like your barrel needs the keys replacing, they are sold in kit form from ford and must be assembled using the codes or numbers from the old keys. (not key in the normal sence of the word, i mean the round barrel keys inside the lock assembly. they are extremely common on UK (and possibly continental) fords. the kit for one lock assembly is about 12 and can be very fiddly to do, (i've done hundreds and still get wound up). you can't buy the barrel pre-assembled either if you have a chip in the key. (small round different coloured plastic cover in the key handle) hope this helps.

I will never use WD 40 on anything that I want to last, it promotes corrosion. Its not the lock cylinder. Could be some moisture trapped in their, it doesn't take much. Will soon know.
Drew.