98 Taurus rear humming noise

My 98 Taurus recently started making a humming noise at and above 40 mph. It sounded like it was coming from the pass side, so I replaced the hub with
one I bought from Murrys. I took it back on the e-way, and it still is there. It still sounds like it is coming from the pass side. I noticed that when I go over slight hills the pitch changes. Any ideas as to what I should look at next? Other side hub? Tire looks ok. nothing noticeable.
Might be fuel pump.
Jim P wrote:

Most certain it is not a fuel pump. Sounds like a bearing going bad, but the sound is coming from the side I already changed. I will throw on the spare and see what happens.

try moving the tires around, see it it changes

More than likely the tires.

Thomas Moats opined in

Almost CERTAINLY the tire!
The giveaway is a pulsating hum, and you'll hear a hint of it at low speed on a certain type of pavement.
Once it has advanced to a given point, one edge or the other of the tread will start to scallop.. has usually been the inside edge on mine.
It's not usually a case where the tire's going to blow any moment, but it's not doing your suspension any good.
Thanks for the input guys I will work on it this weekend and report back.

It does sound like the hub, I'm very surprised it was not. I had the same problem, replaced the hub and it was fine until the next one went, darn potholes!! Hummmmmmmm

Check the antenna fro proper ground. If that doesn't work, change the in plug wires, WBMA
mike hunt
Jim P wrote:

And another great off the mark reply from mike hunt.

Typical "net-scum" There is one or more in every newsgroup. They are usually very lonely pathetic idiots that have nothing better to do.

WTF are you talking about?
Thomas was chiding Mike for posting a valid reply but on the wrong thread.
Jim P opined in

Actually, sounds funny but that happened to me as well, couldn't figure out what the noise was and my antenna was loose. Screwed it in and the sound went away. It wasn't so much a hum noise as the hub made though.