98 Taurus roof top antenna install

I would like to install an NMO type antenna mount in the center of the roof for a 2m ham antenna. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated. Is there any thing to watch out for? The best way to get the coax from the roof to under the dash? I'll be using the Larsen NMO K mount.

Reply to
Mike M.

Drill a hole in the roof for the ant. run the cable above the headliner and then down the pillar making sure to keep it away from the seat belt mechanisms. Then run it under the carpet near the door and up under the kick panel to the under side of the dash. It would be a good idea to keep it as far away from other wires as possible because of noise....I know nothing of the mount you're using so youre on your own there.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Oh Yeah, there's something to watch out for...The Dome light wiring!

Been there, done that...toasted a friend's dome light wires and had to fix 'em! arrrgh!

I would HIGHLY suggest you remove the dome light from the inside, see where the wiring is, pull down the headliner a few inches in the center and make sure the wiring clears before drilling any holes.

Now...other than that...you should be able to run the coax down the passenger side door pillar after removing the trim...it should snap off. Be sure your NMO has enough coax to make the run...most do. I recommend one with no connector installed if your skills allow it...much easier to install.

FYI, I have 3 rooftop NMO's on my F150, my friend has 3 on his 97 Taurus, I have 1 NMO (for 2/70) on the trunk on my 99 Taurus and am quite happy with it.

--Don Byrer KJ5KB Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

Heh, heh, very good advice. I did exactly the same thing on a brand new company truck once. You only make that mistake once. ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins