'99 Escort -- speedometer stopped working

I have a 1999 Escort, American-spec base model with an automatic transmission. Recently the speedometer became intermittent and then stopped working altogether. Some dozens of miles later the "check
engine" light came on, probably related to the speedometer not working. The car has continued to run well.
I think the speedometer is okay -- I'd guess that whatever sensor sends to the speedometer has failed.
I'm looking for how to fix this -- is it a job that a person of medium mechanical ability can handle?
All suggestions appreciated.
most likely the vehicle speed sensor is bad. find a how to book, or preferably a service manual. it will have the sensor location and change directions in it.

If it's like my windstar, it will need a new speed sensor. Perhaps a new speedometer.
Steve R.
I had a 1998 Escort (but a 5 speed) and the speedometer went a bit whacky at 100,000Km's. Pulsated and was quite erratic, then stopped.
The service department pulled the cable out from the speedometer and relubed it and all was well after for about another 300,000km's :)
Jim

you need to trplace the vehicle speed sensor

Just saying mine did not need the speed sensor replaced. The cable required some re-greasing :)

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is an electronic device that sends speed info to the car's computer. This info is also relayed to the speedometer. Older cars have a mechanical speed sensor. The Escort in question probably has an VSS. The VSS could be bad or there could be bad connections. It may also be worthwhile to check the error codes that caused the check engine light to go on.
Jeff