'99 ford fiesta revs accelerate when in neutral

my fiesta has just developed a poblem that during long motorway journeys when I go into neutral the revs increase to varing figures then die away. when I push the clutch in the rev also seem to die but settle slightly higher than idle. could this be just a sticky throttle cable or something more sinister

TIA

Tracy

Reply to
Tracy Ramsden