Amsoil for Escape

Page 1 of 3
I have a 03 Escape. The Ford dealership just told me I need to follow the recommended oil (motorcraft 5w-20) or it would void the warranty. I don't prefer to use this as it is a synthetic blend and not 100% synthetic. I have
read some of information regarding this. Most notably the Magnuson - Moss Act. It states that a manufacturer may not require a specific brand or type of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge. If your dealership continues to tell you that you must use 5W-20 motor oil and or/ a specific brand of 5W-20 motor oil, then ask them to put it in writing. Their position is inaccurate, and, in fact violates existing law.*
Has anyone else had troubles with Ford doing this type of business? And is anyone using amsoil 5w-20? I used mobil one in my 01 mustang. And had no problems with it.
Thanks, Greg

have
type
First of all, a Ford DEALER told you this, not Ford, they are two separate things. I am pretty sure that Ford Motor Company knows a lot more about the laws regarding warranties than us and the dealer. Ford can and will not force you to use Motorcraft oil, however, they are aware of what the engine is capable of flowing and may have grounds to deny warranty coverage if they could prove you use another grade, (of course they wouldn't be able to prove it). I would recommend regular oil changes, per the schedule in your owners manual, with the grade recommended by the manufacturer and the brand of your choice.

No, because I don't pay much attention to them when they're simply towing the corporate line. I've been using Amsoil 5W-30 in my '97 CV, and it's still running great at 107k miles. And Amsoil will warranty engine repair if the damage is caused by failure of their oils when used per their directions. I also use Amsoil filters, too.
The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

Have you actually read Amsoils warranty (see http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.htm )? It is so full of requirments and exceptions the chances of getting it to pay for anything is almost, but not exactly, zero.
Ed
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:55:33 -0500, "C. E. White"

If a defect of Amsoil's products truly caused a failure, and you complied with (IMO) their reasonable requirements, you should be covered. I don't see Mobil even offering such a warranty for their products.

=========================How in the hell are you going to prove a defect in their product caused a failure? Mobil 1 doesnt offer it because it is stupid. Amsoil can take their "warranty" and put it where the sun dont shine if you ask me. And if you could prove it, and it paid off, why would you want to use that crap that caused your engine failure anyway? LOL

Chemical analysis of the oil, combined with physical inspection of the failed parts.

Maybe Mobil doesn't feel they need to offer it to reassume their customers about their product because they put all of their eggs in the advertising basket. I'm not an Amsoil rep, just a user, but every person I've met who uses the stuff swears by it. And when I open the oil fill cap on my CV, even at 107k miles, I don't see the slightest hint of sludge.

So, you refuse to buy anything that has a warranty? If they thought their product would cause harm, they wouldn't have opened themselves up to the exposure of offering a warranty.

=========================== I just replaced the valve cover gaskets on my 94 pickup. 111K miles not a sign of sludge. Only use regular buck a quart oil it. I change it about every 4K. The bottom line is all of the API cert. oils are very good. Good at lubricating, good at keeping the engine clean. The key to longevity is change the oil every 4K or so, or when the manufacture recomends it.

Yeah, I pay more for the oil, but save in the long run with EDIs.

Good
============Extended drain intervals? EDI? How muck does that oil cost? Im guessin $4 a quart. You let it go 16K miles between changes? You know you can have the best oil in the world that lasts forever, but that wont keep the bad stuff out of it like water and HCs (gas), and other corosive things that build up in the engine's oil.

not
is
up
regular oil. The benefit is that it flows very quickly in -30 -40 or so. I admit it is a little expensive, but it's just for winter, and a lot less expensive than a new engine, Battery ,Starter motor. They all suffer in these temps. Gerry

about
longevity
$4
the
stuff
======================Thats true, if I were in Canada in the winter I would probably use it too. But where Im at "cold" is about 50 F.

miles
good.
it.
guessin
build

have
was
so.
less
in
too.
You are required to use 5w20 to maintain the warranty, but it doesn't have to be Motorcraft brand. That's why the Magnuson-Moss Act doesn't apply. A manufacturer cannot specify brand of oil, but they most certainly can specify characteristics meet their specs. Otherwise you could put canola oil in it and claim that it wasn't your fault when the engine siezed.
There are several brands of 5w20 available. If a full synthetic is what you're after, Mobil 1 makes a 0w20 that meets the Ford spec for 5w20.
CJ

have
type
Mobil 5w30 also appears to meet the specs created by Ford.

the
don't
Moss
or/
is
Greg wrote:

Mobil does not claim this. Only the 0W20 grade claims to meet the appropriate Ford Specification. However, the chances of 5W30 causing a problem, or having a warranty claim denied becasue you used Mobil1 5W30 are negligible.
Ed
Can you explain how certain transmission fluids MUST be purchased from the manufacturer or it will lead to bad shifting or failure. For example Mopar +4 fluid, and some Lexuses require T-IV or they'll be slamming into gears.

the
don't
Moss
or/
is
Rex wrote:

Probably becasue no one makes a fluid that exactly matches the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. In cases where buying the wrong fluid might cause problems, I always make sure the fluid I am buying explicitly states that they meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. I never trust weasel wording like " intended for vehicles that require xxxx fluid."
Ed
Greg,
Ford is not telling you that you must use "their oil" they are only telling you that you must use oil that meets their specifications (Ford spec WSS-M2C 153-H). You are free to buy oil meeting this specification from other manufacturers. There are many choices available. For instance -
Havoline 5W20 - see http://www.havoline.com/products/na/motoroil_mo_tech.html Mobil 1 0W20 - see http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_0W-20.asp Formula Shell 5W20 - http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/FormulaShellPCMOEngineOils_102403.pdf
Phillips Trop Artic 5W20 - http://seweb1.phillips66.com/Lube/PRODUCTS.NSF/Products/5B83853F3C971E3986256AA30074CB50?OpenDocument
Exxon SuperFlo 5W20 - http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLEXSuperflo.asp
There are many more. As long as the oil meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C 153-H and is API certified you are OK. The dealer cannot force you to use Ford /Motorcraft Oil, but Ford can certainly require you to use oil that meet certain specifications. Otherwise you could you any old crap and claim it was OK.
The Amsoil product that meets the Ford specifications and other warranty requirements is not a true syntehtic in my opinion. It is like Castrol Syntec - a highly refined crude oil. However, even so, as long as the oil meets the Ford specs, even Amsoil is acceptable (see http://www.amsoil.com/products/xl7500.html ). Stay away from Amsoil products that are not API Certified (most are not, the XL7500 series are). They do not meet your warranty requirments.
Ed