Amsoil for Escape

Page 2 of 3
Thanks for the input. I beleive I will try the Mobil 0W20.

telling you

153-H).
manufacturers.
http://www.havoline.com/products/na/motoroil_mo_tech.html
http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/FormulaShellPCMOEngineOils_102403.pdf
http://seweb1.phillips66.com/Lube/PRODUCTS.NSF/Products/5B83853F3C971E3986256AA30074CB50?OpenDocument
is API

Oil,
specifications.
Syntec -

Ford
http://www.amsoil.com/products/xl7500.html
not, the

the
don't
have
Moss
type
or/ a

is
Guys, I suspect, but could be wrong, that this is a troll setting folks up for a scamsoil pitch. I might be wrong and if I am, I apologize in advance, but something here doesn't smell right. Any oil that meets SAE standards will not void an American car maker's warranty. The reocommendation is an operating guideline not an absolute. It is based primarily on fleet fuel economy standards.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

This may be true, but Ford does have a different specification for the oil used in most 2001 and newer vehicles (WSS-M2C 153-H). I don't know of any 5W30 oils that meet the requirements of this specification. When Ford first started specifying the 5W20 oil they published a fact sheet that claimed oil that met their new specification was superior to API SL oil (and superior to ILSAC GF3 as well). In particular it has a different (superior?) anti-wear package that should help improve the life of your engine.
As I said before the chances of having a warranty claim denied becasue you used a good quality API certified 5W30 oil instead of 5W20 oil to the Ford spec is negligible. I'd run away from any dealer that tries to force you to use the Ford oil by making it seem if only the Ford oil meets warranty requirements. In fact, when the 2001's first came out, many dealers continued to use 5W30 oil for some time. Dealers even told Customers that it was better - probably for the same reason that some dealers are now trying to say anything but Ford's 5W20 will void your warranty.
Ed
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:17:42 GMT, "C. E. White"

I don't recall the details anymore, but I ran across an article on the "new" 5W20 and it seemed to boil down to them wanting to spec the thinner oil for better fuel economy and that as far as it being "as good as or better" then 5W30, they didn't really care as long as they could assure themselves it would at least get the vehicle to something past 75K miles. They had to do a lot of juggling to come up with a 5W20 semi-syn formulation that was even as good as a plain old 5W30 dino oil. -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:17:42 GMT, "C. E. White"
|>Customers that it was better - probably for the same reason that some |>dealers are now trying to say anything but Ford's 5W20 will void your |>warranty. |> |>Ed
When I picked up my 2003 Sable a few weeks ago, they kept putting "Valvoline Oil" paper floor matts in the car, and I kept tossing them out. Finally, I just told the salesman I don't want -any- paper floor matts in the car please?
But when it came time today to buy oil, I found Valvoline at K-Mart, SAE 5W-20 and it _specifically_ states on the container(s): Quote: "For use in Ford, Honda & Mazda Vehicles in which 5W-20 is Recommended"
Exceeds API Services SL/SJ and All preceding API Gasoline categories, ILSAC GF1, GF2 and GF3 end quote
Now all I wanted was Mobil 1, but couldn't find it in 0W20 weight. Besides, it was going for damn near $5 a quart ! So I bought the Valvoline, and if I get a *hassle* from the dealer, I will show him the oil container where it says it meeds Ford criteria, and remind him of those damn Valvoline paper floor matts.
So I guess what I am getting at is, I can't find anywhere to buy Motorcraft 5W20 without going to dealer, but it looks like K-Mart Valvoline will not void the warranty.
Lg
My Walmart has had Motorcraft 5w20 for a long time, and the valvoline and a few others iirc. If you want the Mobil 1, go to a parts store.
CJ

WalMart will change your oil using Mobil 1 and a new filter for $29.99 complete. You can't beat that with a stick.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
|WalMart will change your oil using Mobil 1 and a new filter for $29.99 |complete. You can't beat that with a stick.
As soon as we get a Walmart, Reece, I'll look into it.
Lg
I know, I got a Mobil 1 change there last week. :-)
CJ
wrote:

some
your
I like having the oil changed at the dealership. They keep the records on their system. And if I decide to trade in the Escape, then they can see that it was maintained on a regular basis.
wrote:

some
your
If you decide to trade in your Escape, they won't care if it's maintained. They'll just give you a book wholesale value for it. As long as it runs and is resellable, it's fine.
wrote:

them
floor
him

that
=========================And still give you the wopping whoesale price for it....(if your lucky)
Well you're both the kiss of death. =)

on
|My Walmart has had Motorcraft 5w20 for a long time, and the valvoline and a |few others iirc. If you want the Mobil 1, go to a parts store. | |CJ
CJ,
I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me, although rumor has it one will be built shortly. I believe the land for it is already purchased, but construction hasn't yet begun.
Lg
I've been using Valvoline All-Climate 5W20 in my '02 Escape since the first oil change with no problems. I pull into the oil change center, they check everything including tire pressure (even though they go with a little more air than I like) and wiper fluid, change the oil and filter for $24.95, and I don't even have to get out of my vehicle. Works for me! Tom F.

|I've been using Valvoline All-Climate 5W20 in my '02 Escape since the first |oil change with no problems. I pull into the oil change center, they check |everything including tire pressure (even though they go with a little more |air than I like) and wiper fluid, change the oil and filter for $24.95, and |I don't even have to get out of my vehicle. Works for me! | Tom F.
Well the price is right for the oil. $1.89 / quart. So, 5 quarts ( 4.5 used ) that's $9.45 + tax for the oil. Filter is something like $3.xx
Total parts for oil change in this case, under $15.00
Why don't I bring it to an oil shop? Because I don't trust the little bastards, in a nutshell. When I do an oil change myself, I _really_ go over all the fluid levels and check hoses and such, I don't PRETEND to like a lot of the little nitwits at the local Pit Stop.
Lg

first
check
more
and
This same crew has been here for at least a couple of years now. While I don't trust them implicitly, I trust them enough to keep coming back. If there was an easier place to bring my used oil, I'd do it myself like I had been doing for years. Granted, it's cheaper to do it yourself, but I've grown to like the convenience of them doing it. I still change my own air filter since I don't want to pay the $14 that they want to charge, and I do check over everything they've done after I get home. Just a matter of personal preference, I guess. Tom F.
Sorry. No troll here. I was just concerned about the Ford Dealer telling my what kind of motor oil had to be put in my automobile. I figured they were out of bounds on that. And I was right. I just happened to wander over to Amsoils website where they pointed out my rights as a consumer. This has nothing to do with trolling.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/FormulaShellPCMOEngineOils_102403.pdf
http://seweb1.phillips66.com/Lube/PRODUCTS.NSF/Products/5B83853F3C971E3986256AA30074CB50?OpenDocument
and
/Motorcraft
the
And
no
A dealership has contractual obligations as too what "brand" of products are sold with in a dealerships door. As others have said, the fluids used must meet the SAE standard that the owners manual says you are to use. That does not mean you must use Motorcraft fluids, you can use any fluid by any distributor you want as long as the fluid meets the required SAE standard. Yes the owners manual states it recommends only Motorcraft xyz ( because it is Fords brand after all ), but it also states or equivalent meaning any fluid that meets the standard. So you want to use over priced designer stuff or bargain basement widely distributed low profit stuff, it's ok.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/FormulaShellPCMOEngineOils_102403.p df
http://seweb1.phillips66.com/Lube/PRODUCTS.NSF/Products/5B83853F3C971E3986256AA3 0074CB50?OpenDocument
I stand corrected and offer my apologies..no slight intended.