Amsoil for Escape

I have a 03 Escape. The Ford dealership just told me I need to follow the recommended oil (motorcraft 5w-20) or it would void the warranty. I don't prefer to use this as it is a synthetic blend and not 100% synthetic. I have read some of information regarding this. Most notably the Magnuson - Moss Act. It states that a manufacturer may not require a specific brand or type of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge. If your dealership continues to tell you that you must use 5W-20 motor oil and or/ a specific brand of 5W-20 motor oil, then ask them to put it in writing. Their position is inaccurate, and, in fact violates existing law.*

Has anyone else had troubles with Ford doing this type of business? And is anyone using amsoil 5w-20? I used mobil one in my 01 mustang. And had no problems with it.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
Greg

First of all, a Ford DEALER told you this, not Ford, they are two separate things. I am pretty sure that Ford Motor Company knows a lot more about the laws regarding warranties than us and the dealer. Ford can and will not force you to use Motorcraft oil, however, they are aware of what the engine is capable of flowing and may have grounds to deny warranty coverage if they could prove you use another grade, (of course they wouldn't be able to prove it). I would recommend regular oil changes, per the schedule in your owners manual, with the grade recommended by the manufacturer and the brand of your choice.

Reply to
Michael O

No, because I don't pay much attention to them when they're simply towing the corporate line. I've been using Amsoil 5W-30 in my '97 CV, and it's still running great at 107k miles. And Amsoil will warranty engine repair if the damage is caused by failure of their oils when used per their directions. I also use Amsoil filters, too.

Reply to
The Ghost of General Lee

You are required to use 5w20 to maintain the warranty, but it doesn't have to be Motorcraft brand. That's why the Magnuson-Moss Act doesn't apply. A manufacturer cannot specify brand of oil, but they most certainly can specify characteristics meet their specs. Otherwise you could put canola oil in it and claim that it wasn't your fault when the engine siezed.

There are several brands of 5w20 available. If a full synthetic is what you're after, Mobil 1 makes a 0w20 that meets the Ford spec for 5w20.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

Reply to
Greg

Can you explain how certain transmission fluids MUST be purchased from the manufacturer or it will lead to bad shifting or failure. For example Mopar

+4 fluid, and some Lexuses require T-IV or they'll be slamming into gears.
Reply to
Rex

Greg,

Ford is not telling you that you must use "their oil" they are only telling you that you must use oil that meets their specifications (Ford spec WSS-M2C 153-H). You are free to buy oil meeting this specification from other manufacturers. There are many choices available. For instance -

Havoline 5W20 - see

1 0W20 - see
Shell 5W20 -
Phillips Trop Artic 5W20 -
Exxon SuperFlo 5W20 -
There are many more. As long as the oil meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C 153-H and is API certified you are OK. The dealer cannot force you to use Ford /Motorcraft Oil, but Ford can certainly require you to use oil that meet certain specifications. Otherwise you could you any old crap and claim it was OK.

The Amsoil product that meets the Ford specificati> I have a 03 Escape. The Ford dealership just told me I need to follow the

Reply to
C. E. White

Have you actually read Amsoils warranty (see

It is so full of requirments andexceptions the chances of getting it to pay for anything is almost, but notexactly, zero.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Mobil does not claim this. Only the 0W20 grade claims to meet the appropriate Ford Specification. However, the chances of 5W30 causing a problem, or having a warranty claim denied becasue you used Mobil1 5W30 are negligible.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Probably becasue no one makes a fluid that exactly matches the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. In cases where buying the wrong fluid might cause problems, I always make sure the fluid I am buying explicitly states that they meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. I never trust weasel wording like " intended for vehicles that require xxxx fluid."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

manufacturers.

Mobil 1 0W20 - see>
Formula Shell 5W20 ->

specifications.

). Stay away from Amsoil products that are not API Certified (most arenot, the

Reply to
Greg

Guys, I suspect, but could be wrong, that this is a troll setting folks up for a scamsoil pitch. I might be wrong and if I am, I apologize in advance, but something here doesn't smell right. Any oil that meets SAE standards will not void an American car maker's warranty. The reocommendation is an operating guideline not an absolute. It is based primarily on fleet fuel economy standards.

Reply to
Reece Talley

This may be true, but Ford does have a different specification for the oil used in most 2001 and newer vehicles (WSS-M2C 153-H). I don't know of any 5W30 oils that meet the requirements of this specification. When Ford first started specifying the 5W20 oil they published a fact sheet that claimed oil that met their new specification was superior to API SL oil (and superior to ILSAC GF3 as well). In particular it has a different (superior?) anti-wear package that should help improve the life of your engine.

As I said before the chances of having a warranty claim denied becasue you used a good quality API certified 5W30 oil instead of 5W20 oil to the Ford spec is negligible. I'd run away from any dealer that tries to force you to use the Ford oil by making it seem if only the Ford oil meets warranty requirements. In fact, when the 2001's first came out, many dealers continued to use 5W30 oil for some time. Dealers even told Customers that it was better - probably for the same reason that some dealers are now trying to say anything but Ford's 5W20 will void your warranty.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I don't recall the details anymore, but I ran across an article on the "new" 5W20 and it seemed to boil down to them wanting to spec the thinner oil for better fuel economy and that as far as it being "as good as or better" then 5W30, they didn't really care as long as they could assure themselves it would at least get the vehicle to something past 75K miles. They had to do a lot of juggling to come up with a

5W20 semi-syn formulation that was even as good as a plain old 5W30 dino oil.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

|>Dealers even told |>Customers that it was better - probably for the same reason that some |>dealers are now trying to say anything but Ford's 5W20 will void your |>warranty. |>

|>Ed

When I picked up my 2003 Sable a few weeks ago, they kept putting "Valvoline Oil" paper floor matts in the car, and I kept tossing them out. Finally, I just told the salesman I don't want -any- paper floor matts in the car please?

But when it came time today to buy oil, I found Valvoline at K-Mart, SAE 5W-20 and it _specifically_ states on the container(s): Quote: "For use in Ford, Honda & Mazda Vehicles in which 5W-20 is Recommended"

Exceeds API Services SL/SJ and All preceding API Gasoline categories, ILSAC GF1, GF2 and GF3 end quote

Now all I wanted was Mobil 1, but couldn't find it in 0W20 weight. Besides, it was going for damn near $5 a quart ! So I bought the Valvoline, and if I get a *hassle* from the dealer, I will show him the oil container where it says it meeds Ford criteria, and remind him of those damn Valvoline paper floor matts.

So I guess what I am getting at is, I can't find anywhere to buy Motorcraft 5W20 without going to dealer, but it looks like K-Mart Valvoline will not void the warranty.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

My Walmart has had Motorcraft 5w20 for a long time, and the valvoline and a few others iirc. If you want the Mobil 1, go to a parts store.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

WalMart will change your oil using Mobil 1 and a new filter for $29.99 complete. You can't beat that with a stick.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I've been using Valvoline All-Climate 5W20 in my '02 Escape since the first oil change with no problems. I pull into the oil change center, they check everything including tire pressure (even though they go with a little more air than I like) and wiper fluid, change the oil and filter for $24.95, and I don't even have to get out of my vehicle. Works for me! Tom F.

Reply to
Tom F.

If a defect of Amsoil's products truly caused a failure, and you complied with (IMO) their reasonable requirements, you should be covered. I don't see Mobil even offering such a warranty for their products.

Reply to
The Ghost of General Lee

|My Walmart has had Motorcraft 5w20 for a long time, and the valvoline and a |few others iirc. If you want the Mobil 1, go to a parts store. | |CJ

CJ,

I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me, although rumor has it one will be built shortly. I believe the land for it is already purchased, but construction hasn't yet begun.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman