Axleshaft oil seal replacement 93 crown vic

when replacing the axleshaft oil seal in a 93 crown vic (disc brakes) do i need to pack this seal at all with grease, or just put it in dry? i know when sliding the axle back in i need to lube it with a little diff fluid.

on the topic of diff fluid, how much should i need to do this job? 2L?

Thanks

Reply to
Picasso

I like to pack the back side of the seal (around the garter spring) with grease..... this will keep the spring from popping off the seal from the blows when installing it. The Motorcraft seals come with a small bead of moly grease in the sealing area.... aftermarket seals will benefit from adding some form of lubrication (wheel bearing grease is my choice) to this area.

Your axle will probably take not quite 3 litres....

FWIW, it is a good plan to replace both seals at this time to avoid a repeat disassembly.

Reply to
Jim Warman

To further what Jim said, you should very carefully inspect the surface of the axle shaft for any indications of wear or pitting. A bad axle bearing may have caused the seal failure. They have replacement braring kits that include a modified seal to move the new bearing to a different position on the axle shaft so you won't necessarily have to replace the axle shaft. The offset bearing and seal kit was about $36US when I had to replace mine a few months back.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut