can an exhaust leak cause sputtering?

hello,
I recently replaced my entire exhaust system (cat & all) on my 92 ford f150 (6 cyl). Upon a test run, I noticed that the car, on acceleration, sputters and rumbles profusely (1st gear seems ok, 2nd &
3rd are problemmatic). Could this be a result of something with the exhaust system? It was ok prior to the change though it has been sitting idle outside for several months now as well.
thx
Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

should be on rubber hangers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well. _________________________________________
Sputtering under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to high voltage breakdown; spark plugs, plug wires, coil or distributor cap.
Good luck.
Rodan. __________________________________________
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well. _________________________________________
Sputtering under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to high voltage breakdown; spark plugs, plug wires, coil or distributor cap.
Vibration under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to a worn universal joint in the driveline.
Good luck.
Hi Rodan, is a u-joint replacement better left to a shop to fix?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

exhaust have to do with u-joints? It REALLY sounds like the exhaust is probably hitting something.

Check for broken engine mount, as well.
you pay..DEAL with it!