Can I use this '84 351 HO truck motor in a Mustang?

I've got an '84 351 HO engine from a truck that my father bought and was wondering what is the difference between this 351 and the 351's that were put into Mustangs?

This is the carburated 351W engine.

I think the difference between the regular 351W and this motor was the dual exhaust and the 4-barrel carb.

Would it be possible to put this engine in a Mustang? I understand that a different cam may be in order.

Thanks!

Reply to
Weldman

What year Mustang?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Where the motors are different are in the heads. The truck heads provide more low end torque. Sure you can put the motor in your Mustang and put a larger cam in but till you get better set of heads it's not going to make any difference.

Reply to
Doc

remember the 351w engine is just a bit wider than the 302. this is due to the higher deck height so the widest part of the motor is right where the shock towers are narrowest. exhaust clearance is also a problem. However both can be overcome. the firing order on the cam is different than the 302. This is to change the load on the front bearing seal. the cam doesn't have to be changed unless you are going to the efi set up inthe 87 up mustangs

Reply to
walt peifer

Sounds like it would be better to sell this engine and get a 302.

walt peifer wrote:

Reply to
Weldman