"check engine"...

Hi,
today I sow "check engine" on in my Crown Victoria... The engine is working. It has some problems on low rpm, but it had it before. What can be wrong?
Can I drive it or should I fix it ASAP? I need this car 3 weeks more and I don't want to put some extra money into it...
1qa2ws

What year? How many miles on it?
If the car is otherwise running fine, I would get some black electrical tape and put it over the light.
Jeff

low rpm...
Is it possible to clear the computer in easy way?
1qa2ws

You can disconnect the battery for about 10 seconds, but the check engine light will come back on. It sounds like you should just run it and hope it lasts 3 weeks. It is probably cheaper to rent one for 3 weeks than to fix this one.
Jeff

So, you mean it will be off and will come back on? In every case? I mean, maybe there was something wrong and now it is OK - even in that case it will come back on? If I disconnect the battery, should I know any code to run it back? I have never done it before so I'd like to know if I can do it without any problems.
1qa2ws
1qa2ws wrote:

don't fix themselves. The only way to "turn off" the light is to fix the problem. Go to a local auto parts store like Auto Zone and have them pull the fault codes, then post the codes here. They will be in a form like P0455, P0175, etc.

If there is nothing wrong with the car, the light will eventually go out without any intervention from you.
Jeff

Hey, my engine light came on and I was told to disconnect the battery and wait five minutes, while waiting pump the brakes three to five times. then reconnect the battery. that resets the computer. iF something is wrong it will come back on than you need to get it checked. I have an 02 ford escape and it works!
Terri

on? Is it possible to do it somehow without connect special computer?
1qa2ws

You can go to autozone. They read these for free.
Jeff

If the idiot light is the only indicator of a problem, it should be fine for a few weeks of light driving. Still, get it checked by a mechanic with a computer code reader. That won't cost much, and you'll (and the next driver) at least have peace of mind. I know that with some late '80s Fords, the "check engine" light would come on periodically as a reminder for maintenance. It would stay on for some time unless there was a manual reset. You could check the owner's manual to see if that's the case with your car.