code reader

I,ve been looking to buy a code reader for a while but the ones I,ve seen have all been over $200. Saw one on ebay for $29.95 [new]. Was skeptical it would even work, but what the heck $30. It works great! reads all the codes and resets the codes after. What the heck would I be buying for $200?? What else would it do?

Reply to
WG

Well, without knowing brand/model, an upscale scan tool *may* read codes from proprietary modules (ABS, GEM, 4WD to name but a few)..... it may be able to display data stream (PID data).... some are capable of active command modes where we can command the module to actuate an output device..... some can store "flight recordings" to help with diagnosing intermittents.... some can view Mode 6 data to assist in diagnosing other concerns... finally, good ones will be CAN capable for communicating with late model vehicles.

Code readers can be OK in some instances.... in others, they will only help the user thrrow a lot of $$$$ in parts at a problem.

Reply to
Jim Warman