codes

My 99 Ford Escorts check engine light come on and off . Does anyone know how to get the codes out of the car and what are the codes.

Dennis Renuk opined in

What are codes? Anyone here ever heard of that?
Go to Autozone, unless you're in California. (which I see you are) High priced shops there dont want you getting any kind of free service. So they shut down the Autozone freebie.
www.feoa.net is the escort owners group
WWW.google.com search in this group (alt.autos.ford) for info on ODBII code readout... but you are probably outa luck
Meantime: Look for loose or cracked vacuum lines around the EGR and DPFE sensor. .. and Loose gas filler cap
I bought an OBDII tester to read the codes and reset the check light. The codes tells you what improper condition the ECU detected and tghe it's up to you to test and replace suspicious sensors, valves or solenoids. Farm supply stores have such testers for about $140.00.