1989 Ford Escort performance questions

This is a great newsgroup and I appreciate everyones responses. Q: Is there such a thing as a performance catalytic converter? How sturdy is the 1.9 liter Escort engine for upgrading. I have 120k on mine. I replaced ignition and plug wires with top shelf parts and replaced my muffler with a stainless steel OEM. I can already tell a difference in power, aspiration, etc.

A question for the UK Ford owners: how hard is it to get parts for an Escort RS Cosworth?

I guess that's what I'm shooting for with my 89 Escort GT.

Thanks for your replies and responses.

Kevin "Flywheel" Zepper

Reply to
Choppe7244

There are a few Escort(of the Ford variety, that is) sites. I am a member at

Try visiting there. We're a friendly bunch.

Reply to
-brad-

Ford Escort Cosworth isn't really an Escort at all, it's a Ford Sierra Cosworth with an Escort shaped body on.

Longditudinal engine for a start. Nothing to do with a CVH (Yuk, spits on CVH ground), the engine block is distantly based on the Pinto of all things.

If you want to make your Escort a bit quicker, why not put the turbo, intercooler etc off a Euro RS Turbo on it instead, works well with the 1.9. Up to 250 BHP possible.. and there's plenty of dead RS Turbos scattered around the UK, although they're only 1.6. The Turbo, head, management system etc will all go on, but they're non cat so you may have a bit of fun with emissions regs.

HTH

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

Thank you for the information. I really would like to realize the full potential of this Escort and really wish the US Ford team would've considered the Cosworth or European Fords when designing the US Escort.

Take care and happy motoring...

Kevin "More Gears" Zepper

Reply to
Choppe7244