Damn cell phones

Page 1 of 3
Yesterday I was being tailgated by this glazed-eyed woman. Of course she was on the phone. Fortunately she backed off when I flashed my tail lights. Usually the driver is so engrossed in the conversation,
they don't react.
Cell phone use is rampant and dangerous. Since most authorities are doing nothing about it, I thought I'd ask here about cell phone jammers.
Jammers are commercially available. They send out a radio frequency that prevents use of cell phones in a particular radius of limited size. They are (so I have read) in use in theaters, restaurants, banks (to hinder crooks), and in security zones.
Wouldn't it be nice to have one of these gadgets in your car! Then nobody within range would be gabbing on the phone and that would improve your personal safety.
In many jurisdictions, cell phone jammers are illegal. But apparently nobody is ever charged with using them. Most likely this is because cell phone users never know what is disrupting their phone, so they don't complain. Anyway, there might be situations where you might have to trade off your safety (or comfort) against the chance of being caught by the cops.
These jammer gadgets are not cheap. But if you are the handy type, you can build your own. See ref below.
What I would like to ask is, is anyone using these on the roads? Experiences? Opinions?
Some web refs:
http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/story1a092200.html http://slate.msn.com/id/2092059 / http://gbppr.dyndns.org/PROJ/mil/celljam /
Otto wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly! Ban the durned things completely; not even the hands free variety should be allowed.
But do it properly - petition your government wherever you are to do it, not the way you're suggesting.
How are you going to feel if you should happen to be driving by my place - and interrupt my call - and the call I was making was calling an ambulance for your child, or mother?
Ken
Ken Weitzel wrote:

I'm in NY where they already passed laws against cell phone use, and it does nothing. There's still people all over the place using them.
Please spare me the "emergency" argument though. It's the same type of fear tactic that's lead the USA into our current ridiculous situation. The reality is that everyone is gabbing on their phones about clothes or who went out with who.

So afraid to be alone that they have to be hooked to someone on a phone even in a crowded mall. Pathetic.
--
| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So... your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |

or even stupider shit.
ive got a prepaid virgin mobile cell phone i carry with me, but it stays off. if i need to make a call, i wait til i get to where im going, then turn it on, make the call, turn it off.
I agree with your thoughts but I would like to add another item - as I was driving down the freeway I passed up a car on my right and just happened to look over and just when I thought I'd seen everything I saw this woman driver flossing her teeth with both hands - so was she driving with her knees? Can anyone top this?

Keep your eyes on the road and not some other woman's bathroom habits...
(sorry, just seemed funny)
Seth wrote:

watching TV, trying to lite a smoke with the window down and many other things. Cell phones are not the problem, its the driver. I used to eat, talk on the CB radio and shift my manual transmission S10 and still manage to check my blind spot and signal before changing lanes which is a task some people can't even manage without distraction. What we need is stricter testing, I passed easily with one bad eye, if I were writing the rules I wouldn't allow me to pass without lenses (I have learned to compensate just like someone with hearing loss or someone in a wheelchair though)
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:38 GMT, "Randall Harris"

I can top that easy. Back in the '70s I was driving through Riverside, CA at the then speed limit of 55 mph in the right lane on the freeway. To my amazement, a motorcycle passed me on the left with - get this - the driver leaning way back on a banana seat with his hands behind his head, steering with his feet!! I thought to myself "I am going to see this nut die right in front of my eyes". He gradually pulled away and disappeared around a curve. I kept looking for a bloody mess, but I never saw him again and never heard anything on the news.
The absolute dumbest thing I ever saw.
--
BT

I only cross-posted so the poster would get the message
Would you believe that my uncle actually taught his kids how to drive with their knees? He actually drove with his knees with his mother (my grandmother, maybe 80 at the time) in the car with him! He and his kids all live in GA and the family doesn't speak of him for other reasons.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:38 GMT, "Randall Harris"

Beach, she had changed her blouse, put on deodorant and makeup and brushed her hair.
My favorite was when I was driving on the expressway and first the woman used one of those eyelash curlers (in traffic - moving) and then got out an eyeliner (?) pencil and drew a line of makup under her eye. Imagine if she had been hit or had to stop fast during EITHER thing??? Agggggh!
--
KWW

"Randall Harris" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

What might help stop it is if police were to put it on accident reports and tickets and the insurance companies were allowed to gouge for cell phone use for every claim or ticket. Just like speeding tickets, it's not the ticket cost that stops the people it's the insurance financial body blow that stops most.
Just ask any young kid paying $6G a year for insurance on his rice rocket if it's the tickets cost, or the insurance cost he's worried about.
How about we simplify all this (in the US, at least) and declare that anyone who has an accident while talking on a cell phone is guilty of contributory negligence, therefore their insurance doesn't pay for the repairs?
Sparky wrote:

An interesting idea. Might be the most effective in curbing the problem. Would have to be carefully thought out, though--how, for example, to decide who's at fault in a sudden stop on the hwy? How to prove that the person following a) was on the phone at the instant of the accident (subpoenaing the bill would not be enough to correlate the times); and b) would have been able to react more quickly had they not been on the phone?
Seems like it might be too complex to determine with certainty, and would lend itself to abuse--I sure as hell don't want to have to fight the legal weight of my insurance company to prove that I *wasn't* on the phone if they were to say that I was.
the easiest way to end all this silliness is to make hand held cell phone use while driving a primary offence. here in new jersey, the use of hand held phone use went up quite a bit since the new ban went into effect, but it is a secondary offence, so it is basically a useless law.

Brian wrote:

Then I hope you never have an emergency. I know the person I helped last week when he skidded his Chevy Malibu in a quarter inch of standing water on the road in the fast lane, and landed in on the guardrail in the slow lane, was mighty happy to use my cell phone to call AAA because he didn't have one of his own. The nearest pay phone was on the other side of the highway, and crossing US Highway 1 in New Jersey on foot is suicide in clear weather, much less heavy rain.
At that point, I decided that driving on bald tires like this guy was doing was probably just as dangerous as talking on your cell phone while driving.

Oh spare me your politics.

can distract you from driving, with all their talking and carrying on. Hands free cell use is no different than talking to a passenger who is right next to you. Ya there are those who should not ever use a phone while driving, since they can't drive period. But to ban the use is ridiculous. I personally do not like taking a call while driving, I always make the passenger take the call.
razz wrote:

Agreed - Some of us do possess the mental ability, dexterity and competence to use a hands free cell phone while driving (about the same as a pilot using their radio headset). Just because there are some morons that don't know their limitations is no excuse to pass blanket laws that we all have to be limited by. Go look up the study that was done on the source of driver distraction- cell phones are low on the list. If you want to handle driver distraction, outlaw CD players and radios in cars. Those still cause more accidents than phones.
I've found that people that are hung up on cell phone usage while driving are usually the people that remember when a cell phone was a status symbol (everyone has them now- they're not "status" anymore) and are more angry about the flaunting of phone than the driving performance issue.
Every law that gets passed takes a little bit of everyone's freedom. If you want to squander yours, that's fine- but don't squander mine.
m262007 wrote:

Exactly. It amazes me how a lot of the people who want cell phones banned (and not just while driving, BANNED) are the same types who also complain about how cars are more expensive now because they have to have things liek ABS, daytime running lights and airbags. But isn't it the same thing? In both cases, we're MAKING everyone have something they don't want (or, eliminate something they do want) because they're not trusting people to take care of themselves.
Yes, cell phone use should be banned while driving, and you can bet mine stays in the back seat where I toss it, turned off while I'm on the road. But the best defense isn't jamming, it's keeping your eyes out for people who are doing stupid things while driving, just like you you would be on the look out for a drunk driver or any other threat. If they're swerving, or clearly not paying attention, then I stay the hell away from them, and if they manage to get in an accident with me anyway, then you better believe that I'm gonna hit them in their pocketbook. the best lesson learned is the expensive one.
> Go look up the study that was

It also strikes me that people are hot and bothered about cell phones, yet have absolutely NO problems with the kind of stuff that police officers carry in their vehicles. You yacking on your cell phone is a menace, but what about the guy or girl in blue who is yakking on their radio (and anyone with a police scanner can tell you it's not always about their work), yakking on THEIR cell phone when s/he doesn't want a conversion to go out over the air, probably eating lunch on the go, AND typing and looking at a mobile computer terminal, all in a Ford Crown Vic that seems to have a penchant for blowing up (see http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com ). And these are the people MOST likely to drive aggressively because they have to in order to respond quickly to calls.