Digital speedometer-no reading

I have a 1987 Cougar with 40K on it. The digital speedometer doesn't show any reading. The light is on and the bulbs, which cost $12 each and there are two, test OK. Also...where is the memory for the mileage
stored? If I put in a new instrument cluster will the mileage still be 40K? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx, Dave.
I had an 85 and it was always just the bulbs. I was able to use a $1.25 substitute. I would check to make sure you do not have a fuse issue. Probably won't be the case but check for any loose connections/plugs in the cluster. I know it is a bitch to get to but something may have wiggled loose or something. Good luck! el lobo