escort engine service light

My 97 escort just had a [service engine soon] light come on.
Does this happen every 100K, to check the timing belt, or is it something else? How do I reset it?
Thanks in advance

have the code retrieved and the light reset. Depending what the code was, there is LIKELY something that should be fixed.
Go to a place like Advance and have them read the code... free...

Hank wrote:

problem with the engine management system get it checked...