Escourt Head Gasket

Hi All

I got an 1995 Escort (UK Spec) 1.8 Petrol (Zetec Engine)

Its just been in the garage for the clutch doing, and the guy tells me that th ehead gasket is dying. He also tells me it'll caot me £500 for him to change it.

Firstly how can he tell the gasket is on its way out with out stripping the cylinder head off, there is no white emulsion in the oil (that i can find) on obviouse leaks

Secondly, is £500 pounds a reasonable price for the gasket changed??

Thirdlt Is it worth having a shot at my self, I would have to get the head skimmed, how about the block? th timing is the only bit that worries me really

thanks

Reply to
vertuas

There is a fellow that advertises in outr local paper that get $250 for a head gasket job, my throw in some extra surprises on the price when you call thought. Ed

Reply to
Edward Ginsberg

these head gaskets are pretty tough on zetec engines, meaning they rarely fail, so make sure it has gone first before shelling out lots of money, secondly if it has gone £500 is a reasonable price for this job assuming it is being done correctly, ensure that it includes a new cam belt (always replace these if removed) the head should be re surfaced (skimmed) and i believe they are stretch bolts in these so new bolts will be required. my advice though is get a second opinion. steve.uk.

Reply to
steve