Escourt Head Gasket

Hi All
I got an 1995 Escort (UK Spec) 1.8 Petrol (Zetec Engine)
Its just been in the garage for the clutch doing, and the guy tells me that th ehead gasket is dying. He also tells me it'll caot me 500 for him to
change it.
Firstly how can he tell the gasket is on its way out with out stripping the cylinder head off, there is no white emulsion in the oil (that i can find) on obviouse leaks
Secondly, is 500 pounds a reasonable price for the gasket changed??
Thirdlt Is it worth having a shot at my self, I would have to get the head skimmed, how about the block? th timing is the only bit that worries me really
thanks
There is a fellow that advertises in outr local paper that get $250 for a head gasket job, my throw in some extra surprises on the price when you call thought. Ed
--
Ed ke6bnl
Agua Dulce, Ca.