Explorer

Any info appreciated. My 93 Explorer is having tranny problems. It does not shift easily from 1st to 2nd, rpms keep going up, if I let off the accelerator just a hair it
shifts. This is new. I bought it used and the tranny fluid was pretty bad. I had it changed two days ago when the tranny issue started. It did not really change anything. Any idea what could cause this? Is it a big/expensive issue? Any help appreciated. Sully Ramsey, MN

Most likely the clutches are worn out or the seals are leaking too much to build up pressure sufficient to lock things tight under load. If you don't get any other tips that help, here's what I would do if it were mine. Get a couple can's of STP oil treatment. it's the really thick stuff. Put that in it and see if it helps. You could also put in a can of Transmission seal conditioner. Between the two or three cans of stuff you may need to suck out 2 to 4 pints of fluid to prevent overfilling. the oil thickener will increase the viscosity of the ATF and may get you some extra pressure in that clutch pack. It won't hurt anything. I've been running this stuff in my truck for almost 2 years to keep it going and it's helped it a lot.
If the shop pressure flushed the transmission, they might have dislodged the glue on the seals. I have seen this happen after a power flush. I recommend with a high mileage transmission not to power flush.

We had similar symptoms with my wife's 2003 Explorer with 55K miles. Finally the OD light started flashing that is a very bad signal. It spent 10 days at the Ford dealer and they finally gave up trying fix it we had to install a factory rebuilt. Ford does not sell new transmissions. For $2600 it is now running good again. Don't mess around with patches -they don't work. Others get 200K miles but we only got 55k on the church lady's car. Just lucky I guess
Same thing in my 67 Mustang many years ago. Tranny is shot. Just get a new one or drive it like it is until it fails.

Thanks all of you. Sounds pretty dismal; my OD light has been flashing for a longgggg time. My mechanic knew not why. Guess I start looking for a tranny:( Sully

If you have a 93 Explorer, you might also want to get a new engine, tires, seats, body, etc.
In other words, it might be time for a new vehicle.
Jeff
You must realize that some owners actually do provide the proper preventive maintenance for their vehicles an they can last a long time LOL

If you have a 93 Explorer, you might also want to get a new engine, tires, seats, body, etc.
In other words, it might be time for a new vehicle.
Jeff

message
Why? My 92 has a perfect body, interior, tires, etc. Why would I spend $25,000 on a new vehicle when my old one doesn't even cost me $500 a year in maintenance?