F-150 Starting Problems

Occasionally when I try to start my '84 F-150, all I hear is a loud click coming from either the right side of the engine compartment or from underneath. Would that most likely be the solenoid or would it be
a relay?
Yes.... could even be the starter itself. The place to start is to make sure all connections are clean and tight... by clean I mean shiny... by connection, I mean the spade, the stud, the nut, any washers... cleanliness is next to startliness. This is a 20 year old truck, so be sure that the cheap stuff is right before throwing expensive stuff at it. If it's not present, I would add a ground from a starter mounting bolt to the battery negative.