Fiesta: motor stops during driving

Hello all,
My mother owns a Ford Fiesta 1.6 automatic petrol (model 2004, 24000km). Since she bought the car it has happened about 5 to 6 times that the motor
suddenly goes off amidst driving. RPM are zero and the engine signal lights up (but doesn't blink, just stays on). When turning the ignition key off and on again, the motor starts again.
The car has been to the garage a few times, but they can't seem to find anything. 5 to 6 times doesn't seem to be a big deal. But as my mother isn't that young anymore, it could nonetheless be dangerous as also the power steering and the brake support are affected when the motor stops during driving.
Has anyone heard anything about this problem? What could be the cause?
Regards, Patrick

Sympathize greatly... you are between a rock and a hard place.
My dad is mid-eighties and drives okay, but when he has a car prob, one of us sons has to drive it to determine what it is... and dad used to know mechs pretty well.
If there are no codes to read out (has the dealer tried?), I see no way to resolve the problem other than switching cars with your mother and seeing if it happens to you.
- like if the tach drops to zero, immed.. or does it reflect the engine as it dies.
you pay..DEAL with it!
I think they actually read out the codes, but there was nothing unusual with them.

Here's a wild and crazy idea. Try a different garage. I'm not even saying the first garage is bad, but a fresh look might help. Ask to have Ford technical support get involved. There are a few electrical components that are most suspect in these intermittent cases. If it means enough, they can be changed out. I remember in the old days with the first Ford modules, people could go past certain high voltage lines or other interference and the engines would stall out. They would sometimes restart when they coasted past the critical spot. GM modules did not do this because they were buried in the distributor. I recently ran into a Blazer transmission control module that has malfunctined twice in exactly the same 100 M stretch of road. I don't know if it's just coincidence or deja vu all over again.
We will indeed try a different garage. First garage said they had no time. I guess they didn't want to admit that they don't know what to do after having looked at it already twice...

Have you replaced the fuel filter? This will cause this symptom... ? Coil connections? Possible ingition switch. The fuel filter was an idea until I read that it happened 5 or 6 time since owning the car, how long has she owned the car. A long time sounds like Electrical to me. Or computer, has the battery been disconnected latley? Just some ideas...
Gerald
The car is now one and a half year old and was bought new. Fuel filter wasn't replaced as fas as I know. Battery hasn't been disconnected, either, I think.